Thanks to the generosity of our Dean’s Excellence Fund donors, the school awarded six students in academic year 2017-18. Funds were awarded to supplement expenses for high-impact learning opportunities such as study abroad, internship, and research travel. Students traveled to places such as Morocco, Spain, Cambodia, Vietnam, Argentina, and Ireland.

Delaney Wallace at the Elephant Valley Project in Cambodia.

Award recipient and psychology major Delaney Wallace studied abroad in Cambodia and Vietnam on a College of Charleston faculty-led summer trip.  She writes:

“My study abroad trip provided me with an abundance of valuable experiences. We spent a total of three weeks in Cambodia and two weeks in Vietnam. In addition to taking two psychology courses, I also had the opportunity to conduct my own research project — a comparative analysis of the conceptualizations and stigmatization of mental health in Cambodia, Vietnam, and the United States. This experience helped me to gain practice in qualitative research, while also gaining a more global perspective, and learning a bit about myself along the way.”

If you would like to make a donation to the School of Humanities and Social Sciences’ Dean’s Excellence Fund, visit hss.cofc.edu/giving.