The PASS (Pipeline for Aspiring Surgical Students) summer internship program is back and will once again provide three Honors interns with an immersive 10-week summer experience focused on laboratory and clinical research and designed to prepare students for a career in academic medicine, all under the mentorship of Department of Surgery faculty.
As part of the program, students will also participate in the Honors Summer Enrichment Program, which will enhance their P.A.S.S. internship through a significant stipend, supplemental workshops, and peer-to-peer collaboration. Following the internship, students will present on their work at the the 2022 MUSC Research Day in November.
Applications for the P.A.S.S. Program are due Sunday, March 6. Read more about last year’s P.A.S.S. Program, and then click below for details on how to apply.
PASS interns will spend 10 weeks immersed in laboratory and clinical research, all under the mentorship of Department of Surgery faculty members. Potential opportunities for research include…
- Transplant Immunology and Surgical outcomes, specifically focused on developing novel technologies and therapies to promote organ tolerance in transplantation in the Lee Patterson Allen Transplant Immunobiology Laboratory or outcomes research in the Transplant Clinical Research Core
- Regenerative medicine, specifically relating to biomedical implants, biomaterials, tissue engineering, and 3D printing and visualization
- Surgical Oncology research, both clinical and basic research investigating mechanisms behind cancer development and prevention and/or outcomes of therapeutics in patients
- Cardiovascular research, focusing on basic mechanisms preventing cardiovascular disease and correlating clinical outcomes research
- Clinical outcomes research within the Surgical Outcomes and Innovation Network at MUSC Dept. of Surgery (SORIN) and in GI surgery and general surgery within the Veterans Administration (VA) Hospital Patient population
- Commit to working full-time (40 hours/week) for 10-weeks (exact dates will be determined based on the lab you work with)
- Apply for and participate in the Honors Summer Enrichment Program, including pre- and post-summer workshops and cohort activities
- Present at the annual Perry V. Halushka Research Day in November ‘22
PASS Interns will participate simultaneously in the Honors Summer Enrichment Program, which will provide them with a stipend for living expenses up to $4000 (participation in the Honors Summer Enrichment Program is required of all PASS interns).
Who Should Apply:
This opportunity is ideal for aspiring medical scientists considering a career in academic medicine (not just in surgical fields). For those thinking about pursuing an MD/PhD or MD/MS, this is a great chance to gain practical experience and bolster your application credentials.
To be considered, applicants must be a rising junior or rising senior currently in good standing within the Honors College.
1.) Apply to PASS
Applications should be submitted to Honors@cofc.edu (subject line: 2022 PASS application) by Sunday, March 6 at midnight. Applications must include…
- An up-to-date professional resume
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- A statement of intent (500 words). Statement should discuss academic and career goals and explain, in specific and persuasive terms, the importance of the knowledge and skill gained from participation in the PASS program to academic and career development. Prior research experience should also be discussed. Note: If the student is intending to enroll in summer courses or be employed, he/she must describe how course work, employment and any other commitments will be balanced with the PASS program expectations. Students are not permitted to enroll in more than one course during the project period.
2.) Apply to the Honors Summer Enrichment Program
Students who participate in the PASS program must also participate in the Honors Summer Enrichment Program, which requires a separate application. Details about how to apply can be found here. For students applying to the PASS Program, the application deadline is the same for both programs: Sunday, March 6 (note that this is after the regularly posted deadline for the Summer Enrichment Program).
Questions about the application process? Contact Honors@cofc.edu.