Project Mentors

A team of peer Project Mentors guides first-year students through the Honors Engaged program.  Project Mentors have prior experience with the tracks and organizations they work with, typically through Honors Engaged in their first-year. This makes them an excellent source of guidance and advice.

Project mentors should always be the first point of contact for students with questions about the tracks and organizations.  Sometimes representatives from an organization will request that students communicate with them directly. In these cases, students should also maintain consistent communication with their liaison.

Project Mentors will hold meetings with their groups periodically throughout the year.

*All students are required to attend these meetings if possible.*

2022-2023 Honors Engaged Project Mentors

Kaitlin Ashby

Hi! My name is Kaitlin Ashby, and I am a sophomore at The College. I am majoring in early childhood special education. I am originally from Cleveland, Ohio, but I have been coming down to Charleston ever since I was a little girl. Along with being a Project Mentor, I am also a member of the Ultimate Frisbee team. In my spare time I love to sew, go to the beach, or explore new places with friends. I am so excited to get to spend some time with y’all!

Jimmy Cyganek

My name is Jimmy Cyganek, and I’m a sophomore in the Honors College double majoring in Vocal Music Performance and Computing in the Arts. My passion for planting and propagation took off when I was certified as a Master Junior Gardener in 5th grade and was renewed during COVID lockdown when I created a Victory Garden to counter supply chain shortages. I’m also an Eagle Scout, a song leader for my congregation and sing in the choir of Charleston’s historic French Huguenot Church every Sunday. I’m looking forward to a Francophile fall studying French, living at La Maison Française, and diving into CofC’s next mainstage French opera, The Tales of Hoffmann. I loved teaching gardening to the students at Memminger Elementary last year through Honors Engaged and can’t wait to meet and work with you this year!

Lexi Drumm

Hi, my name is Lexi Drumm, and I am from Jacksonville, Florida. I am a rising sophomore in the Honors College majoring in Business Administration and minoring in Political Science. I hope to attend law school after I graduate from CofC. I play on the women’s soccer team and am also a member of the Pre-Law society! I am thrilled about this year and having the opportunity to be a project mentor!

Dani Faulhaber

Hi! My name is Dani Faulhaber, I use she/her pronouns, and I’m a sophomore here in the honors college, originally from Alpharetta, Georgia. I’m currently declared as a Communications major with minors in Jewish Studies and Film Studies. I’m a big advocate against gun violence and do what I can to spread awareness on the issue as well as fight against it side-by-side with my community. I’m excited to work with other students to discuss and plan action against social injustices.

Maggie Harkins

Hi! My name is Maggie, and I am a sophomore from Salisbury, MD, majoring in public health. On campus, I am a peer facilitator for Beyond George Street, and I’m also involved with Charleston Miracle, Friends of MSF, and Alpha Chi Sigma. In my free time, I love going to the beach, reading, and drinking coffee. I’m excited to work with all of you!

Scarlet Lions

Hi! My name is Scarlet Lions, and I am a rising sophomore majoring in Psychology (B.S.) and minoring in Crime, Law, and Society at the College of Charleston in the Honors College. I am from Greenville, South Carolina (but was raised up North!), and aside from being a project mentor this year, I am also the treasurer of CofC’s Italian Club. In my spare time, you can find me sketching, cooking, reading, practicing photography, or tweaking my playlists. Words can’t express how excited I am to meet and work with all of you!

Kat McCormick

Hi! My name is Kat McCormick, and I am a sophomore here at the College of Charleston. I am majoring in International Business with a minor in Marketing. I participate as a member of the Surf Club and am a volunteer for Kids on Point. I love reading, going surfing, working out, and making jewelry. I am beyond excited to work with you all this year!

Sydney Pearson

My name is Sydney Pearson, and I am a rising sophomore at CofC. I am a systems engineering major and mathematics minor. My hometown is right outside Charlotte, North Carolina. In my free time, I enjoy working out, running, taking yoga classes, going to the beach, and traveling. I am so excited to serve new Honors students as a mentor this year!

Anna Rowe

Hello! My name is Anna Rowe and I am a junior this year at the College of Charleston. I am double majoring in Communication and Psychology with a minor in Religious Studies. I am a member of the Outdoors Club and Cisternyard Media, and I am the Sisterhood Director for Chi Omega. I love bike rides to the Battery, going to the beach with my friends (Sullivan’s is the best) and spending my Saturday mornings at the Farmer’s Market. I can’t wait to meet you all.

Abby Ryan

Hi! My name is Abby Ryan, and I am a sophomore in the Honors College from Chantilly, Virginia, majoring in biochemistry and Spanish. On campus, I am a peer facilitator for BGS and a member of the Charleston Fellows, CHAARG, and Alpha Chi Sigma. In my free time, I love running, baking, and going to the beach. I look forward to working with you all!

Jada Saleeby

Hi! My name is Jada Saleeby, and I am from Spartanburg, South Carolina. I am a junior at the College of Charleston this year, and I am majoring in Art History. In addition to being a project mentor, I am also a violinist and member of the College of Charleston Orchestra. In my free time, I love to paint, draw, ride my bike in the city, and weightlift. I look forward to working with our new Honors students this year!

Sophie Smiley

Hey everyone! My name is Sophie Smiley, and I’m a junior this year. I’m from York, SC, and I’m majoring in anthropology, sociology, and women’s and gender studies! In my free time, I like to relax, read, cook, bake, watch movies, play cards, and other stuff like that. I live in North Charleston, and my roommate and I share two dogs and one rabbit (Bella, Margo, and Archie)! I’m thrilled to be a project mentor this year and can’t wait to begin! 🙂

Haleigh Shell

Hi! My name is Haleigh Shell, and I am from Spartanburg, SC. I am a sophomore in the Honors College here at the College of Charleston. I am majoring in Biology (B.S.) and minoring in Environmental Science and Sustainability. Some of my favorite hobbies include thrifting vintage clothes, organizing, antiquing, taking pictures of nature, and listening to lots of old music! I am very open-minded and love helping those who need it, so please reach out if you ever need anything regarding the Honors Engaged process! I can’t wait to meet everyone and to be a project mentor!

Eva Tryon

Hi! My name is Eva Tryon, and I am a sophomore here in the Honors College majoring in international business and double minoring in French and communications. My hometown is outside of Philadelphia! I enjoy participating in Chaarg here on campus, and, in my spare time, going for walks and working out, spending time with friends, and traveling and exploring new places (and food!). I am eager to work with you all as we continue to serve our Charleston community!

Honors Faculty/Staff Support Team

Dr. Jennifer Cavalli, Director of Honors Engaged and Associate Director of Student Engagement

Dr. Brooke Permenter, Director of Student Engagement

Isabelle Morris, Graduate Assistant for the Honors First-Year Experience

Peyton Baxley, Honors Engaged Project Coordinator