Honors Engaged Liaisons

A team of peer liaisons guides first-year students through the Honors Engaged program.  Liaisons have prior experience with the tracks and organizations they work with, typically through Honors Engaged in their first-year. This makes them an excellent source of guidance and advice.

Liaisons should always be the first point of contact for students with questions about the tracks and organizations.  Sometimes representatives from an organization will request that students communicate with them directly. In these cases, students should also maintain consistent communication with their liaison.

Liaisons will hold meetings with their groups periodically throughout the year. They will work with students to schedule a time that works for the group. All students are required to attend these meetings if possible.

2020-2021 Honors Engaged Liaisons

Laurie Fogleman

Hey everyone! My name is Laurie, and I am a junior in the Honors College from Norwood, NC. I am majoring in Communication and minoring in Leadership, Change, and Social Responsibility. I plan on entering either the higher education or public relations fields after graduation. Aside from being an Honors Engaged Liaison, I am also a member of the Track and Field Team,  a tour guide with Charleston-40, have worked as an Orientation Intern the past two summers, and will serve as an officer for the Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society this year! I love to be as involved as possible and love the endless opportunities that the College and city of Charleston have to offer. I am passionate about writing, sports, traveling, and the environment. In my free time you may catch me sippin’ cold brew, watching sunsets/sunrises, or riding bikes with my friends! I can’t wait to work with the Class of 2024 🙂

Meg Krawczyk

I’m Meg Krawczyk, and I am a senior at the College of Charleston, double majoring in Computer Science and Computing in the Arts with a concentration in studio art. I enjoy painting and drawing in my free time, as well as going to the beach with my friends. I am beyond excited to be an Honors Engaged Liaison this year and hope that despite how different this year has been, we can still have an awesome year (my senior year!) together!

Paige Neff

Hi everyone! My name is Paige Neff, and I am a Junior in the Honors College from Conway, South Carolina. Currently I am majoring in Biology, with aspirations of attending law school upon graduation. In addition to being an Honors Engaged Liaison, I also have an internship at a law firm here in Charleston, SC. When I am not in class you can find me spending time with friends, hanging out at the beach, or reading a great book at one of the best local coffee shops. I am thrilled to welcome the Class of 2024 to our beautiful campus and can’t wait to work with you all this year!

Izzy Smith

Hi guys! My name is Izzy Smith, and I’m originally from Rock Hill, South Carolina. I’m majoring in Special Education with a concentration in mental/emotional disabilities and minoring in Religious Studies. I plan on teaching in Title 1 public schools in South Carolina after I graduate and also plan to advocate for better education systems and funding in the state. In addition to being an Honors Engaged Liaison, I’m in Teaching Fellows, Chucktown Sound (I play the mellophone for anyone curious), PRISM, and HerCampus. In my free time I like to do arts and crafts, listen to music, hang out with my friends and curl up with a good coming-of-age novel. Stay safe and welcome to CofC Class of 2024!

Melanie Snider

Hi everyone! My name is Melanie, and I’ll be the Honors Engaged Liaison for the Liberty, Justice, and Democracy track with a focus in REACH. I’m a sophomore from North Augusta, SC majoring in psychology with a minor in medical humanities. REACH was my Honors Engaged project last year, and I’m so excited to continue working with this amazing organization! I can’t wait to meet everyone, and I hope we’ll have a great year!!

Belle Tolmich

Hello and my name is Belle Tolmich. I am a senior from outside of Atlanta, Georgia majoring in Political Science with a concentration in Public Policy. The dream after graduating is to move to DC to get a master’s degree and hopefully end up working in the White House, but we’ll see where life takes me! I’d be content with any job that helps make people’s lives better! Besides being an Honors Engaged Liaison, I am on the executive board of my sorority, the executive board of the Charleston 40 tour guides, and I work part-time at the Charleston Museum. You will never find someone who loves this college and this city more than me! I hope you all can love it as much as I do as we get involved in the community together!

Katherine Uptegrove

My name is Katherine Uptegrove, and I am from Charleston, SC.  I’m in  my second year at the College.  I am an International Studies, English, and Political Science triple major with a minor in Film Studies.  I am also a member of the Bonner Leader Program, a leadership development program on campus.  I’m excited to spend my time at CofC volunteering in the community and helping others to do the same!

Honors Faculty/Staff Support Team

Brooke Permenter, Director of Student Engagement

Jennifer Cavalli, Assistant Director of Student Engagement

Lauren Cortese, Graduate Assistant for the Honors First-Year Experience

Joshua Garcia, Graduate Assistant for the Honors First-Year Experience