As members of our Charleston community, each first-year student commits to engaging one of our Critical Issues for the entire year. Each Critical Issue is based on one or more related United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and has been identified as a local focus by individuals and organizations in the Charleston community.
Students should constantly consider the following four questions regarding their Critical Issue assignment:
1. What specific problems related to this Critical Issue are affecting Charleston?
2. What groups and/or organizations are currently attempting to address this Critical Issue or its problems?
3. How can people get involved?
4. What additional initiatives need to be undertaken?
- Sustainable Development Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Sustainable Development Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Sustainable Development Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Health and Wellness
- Sustainable Development Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Sustainable Development Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable