Lindner Scholarship Helps Honors Student Get the Most out of her CofC Experience

One thing’s for sure: Laurie Fogleman knows how to make the most of her time. Since coming to the College of Charleston, the senior student-athlete has been mapping out everything from classes to meals by the hour for the entire week.

“My College of Charleston experience has been amazing,” says the Honors College communication major, adding that – even though she spends some 20 hours a week practicing and competing with the track and field team – her time at the College has been much more than running. “I love athletics at the College because I can not only have the identity of being a ‘runner’ or a ‘CofC athlete,’ but I am also able to have a life and identity outside of athletics.”

Indeed, while at the College, Fogleman has found her identity as a communication scholar and leader, joining programs like Leadership CofC, the Mentor-Protégé Program, the National Millennial/GenZ Community and the Charleston 40 – and serving as an Honors Engaged Liaison and Honors Ambassador, a marketing and outreach student assistant for CofC Libraries, a student officer for Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society, an Orientation intern and a volunteer for the Center for Civic Engagement, among  other things. 

“These irreplaceable experiences have allowed me to exercise my communication skills each day in so many ways,” says the Norwood, North Carolina, native. “I’ve learned from others who are older, younger, come from different countries and backgrounds, and have different views from me. I have learned the true power of connecting with people and listening to them share their stories. From practicing active listening skills to asking meaningful questions about different career fields to sharing my own knowledge of the College with prospective students, I have grown as a communication scholar. Each day, I strive to reach my goals of becoming a successful communication professional and leader.”

To read more about this story, check out the full article by Alicia Lutz at The College Today.