Student Spotlight: Honors Student Olivia Yalden talks about the Honors Experience

Honors College sophomore Olivia Yalden

On warm, sunny days you can find College of Charleston sophomore Olivia Yalden stretched out on Rivers Green studying for a class or hanging out with friends in the Cistern Yard, taking shade under the oaks.

As a public health major in the Honors College, Yalden stays busy with classes as well as all of the additional programs, experiences and opportunities available through the Honors College. She plans to get her master’s degree in public health and eventually work for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as an epidemiologist.

The College Today caught up with Yalden to find out more about how the Honors College is enhancing her experience at CofC and why she loves being a Cougar.

What about the Honors College appealed to you as an incoming student?

The Honors College was appealing to me for its extra advising and experiential opportunities. I chose to be an Honors student because I wanted to be able to take advantage of all of the extra mentoring, experiential opportunities and community that the Honors College had to offer.

As a freshman, I joined the Honors Entrepreneurship Living Learning Community (E-LLC), where I got so many hands-on opportunities and experiences that I may not have gotten without being in the Honors College. For example, I received multiple one-on-one mentoring sessions to help me navigate my freshman year. I was also given the opportunity to have a leadership position by coming back to serve as the student director for the E-LLC. Lastly, I was connected to other freshman students who were like-minded and gave me a great group of friends that felt like a family.

To read more about this story, check out the full article by Amanda Kerr at The College Today. Photo by Andrew Allen.