The IRS offers Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Programs each year to assist low- to moderate-income (generally $49,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Our College of Charleston Beta Alpha Psi accounting students are in charge of the Stern Center site which runs every Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. through April 10.
If you are interested in taking advantage of this service, please be sure to bring:
- Proof of identification
- Social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birthdates for you, your spouse and dependents
- Current year’s tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For more information, visit http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=107626,00.html.