The College of Charleston will be closed Monday as we honor and remember the men and women who died protecting our country.
Ceremonies and events are scheduled throughout the Lowcountry for Memorial Day weekend. Below is a list of events I have been able to pull from various sources including the Post & Courier and Charleston, SC Tourism. Admission is free unless noted.
Whatever your plans include this holiday weekend, please be safe!
- VWF Post 10256 in Goose Creek will host a ceremony at 3:00 in Whispering Pines Memorial Gardens on Old Highway 52. Steaks & chicken will be available afterward in the Post Home at 104 Stephanie Drive in Goose Creek.
- American Legion Post 241 in Charleston will meet at 10:30 a.m. at Mother Emanuel AME Church for a service
- American flags will be placed on graves during special Memorial Day Services to be held at Mount Carmel United Methodist Church in Walterboro. The 11:00 a.m. service will also honor and recognize all veterans in attendance.
American Legion Post 166 in Goose Creek will hold a memorial service at Carolina Memorial Gardens on Rivers Avenue at noon.
- Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum will host a ceremony and wreath-laying at 9:00 a.m. It will be held at the Vietnam Naval Support Base Camp.
- The town of Hollywood will hold a Memorial Day Prayer Vigil from 10:00 a.m. to noon at Hollywood Town Hall
- The Mount Pleasant American Legion Post 136 will place a wreath at the veterans cemetery at Mt. Pleasant Memorial Gardens at 2:00 p.m. A luncheon will follow at the post headquarters at 832 Coleman Blvd.
- The Annual Memorial Day Ceremony will be held at 10:30 am. at Summerville Cemetery (Parks Cemetery). Guest speaker is retired Col. Gerald W. Musselman.
- The Moncks Corner American Legion Post 126 will host Memorial Day services at 10:00 a.m. The gathering will be at the Berkeley County Veterans Monument in front of hte Berkeley County Health Department at 109 West Main Street in Moncks Corner. Colors by Berkeley High Air Force JROTC.
- The Charleston Men’s Chorus will host its annual Memorial Day Concert at St. Philip’s Episcopal Church in downtown Charleston at 12:00 noon. Tickets are $12 for adults; $10 for seniors and students, and free to ages six and under.