Jordan Eaddy ’22

Hometown: Hampton, SC

Minors: Biology & Medical Humanities

During my first two years at CofC, I bounced back and forth between public health and biology majors but couldn’t find that right fit. In my decade-long career as a paramedic, I gained empathy and compassion while developing leadership skills and a knowledge of anatomy. I wanted to incorporate this experience into a flexible interdisciplinary program. One night, I racked my brain for hours to determine what interested me most… anthropology, psychology, biology, sociology, ecology, anatomy, physiology, religion, ethics; they all piqued scientific, introspective learning, but I longed for a deeper dive. I struggled to find a major pathway that allowed me the flexibility to blend topics of keen interest in preparation for a competitive application to nursing school. 

My worries ceased when I found the Bachelor of General Studies program. With this integrative degree path, I could combine two minors: medical humanities and biology.  The beauty of this combination is that each supports the other in a unique way. Biology sets the foundation for the scientific aspect of medicine while medical humanities approaches biology from an “arts” learning lens which promotes deep understanding and always prompts the question “why?”.