Wave of Waste

This piece of art really stuck out to me.  I think it says so much and it is disgusting but also fascinating to look at.  I read into this piece of art and it amazes me.  This piece was created by beer brand Corona and charity Parley for the Oceans collaborated  to create this  piece.  It’s called Wave Of Waste.  As I continued  to read into this I realized how much work needed to be done to create this.  But, as I continued reading, I saw that all the plastic was collected from one area.  “The plastic wave was made using beach litter collected by The Marine Conservation Society from Holywell beach, East Sussex.” 

This artwork included a picture of a famous Australian actor, Chris Hemsworth.  He is surfing the “Wave of Plastic” as you can see in the background of this art work.  Another critic says how it’s impossible nowadays to go to a beach and surf without seeing plastic.  It’s very upsetting that all these beaches have so much trash on it that you can make a whole sculpture out of it.  “The total weight was 1,200kg of plastic – the amount of marine plastic pollution found on the beach every two miles in the UK.”   That is equivalent to 2645.5 pounds.  That is mindblowing that all that plastic is in one piece of art. Plastic Is Killing Our Oceans - Here's What You Need to Know - The Surfers  View

https://sketchevents.co.uk/project/corona-wave-of-waste/

https://eco-age.com/resources/making-art-plastic-waste/

4 thoughts on “Wave of Waste

1. Brynne, I can totally understand why this piece of art was so eye-catching and why you wanted to research it. This piece of work does an amazing job exemplifying how much plastic is starting to affect our own personal activities like going to the beach or surfing. I also like how it is set up as a public display so that all types of people can view it instead of people who are specifically interested in sustainability. I was blown away by the stats that you provided. Finding 2645lbs of trash over two days is crazy.

2. I also chose to research an artist and I now understand why it has become such a popular thing. Seeing it in person or even just a picture it makes you really think about how realistic our plastic problem is.

3. Knowing that all of those plastic pieces were taken from beaches is extremely disappointing. Knowing that they all came from the same beach is just sickening. This wave of waste conveys a strong message about the quantity of plastic pollution in the ocean and hopefully it will be a stepping stone in the path to a more sustainable future.

4. Knowing that all of those plastic pieces were taken from beaches is extremely disappointing. Knowing that they all came from the same beach is just sickening. This wave of waste tells a serious story about the quantity of plastic pollution in the ocean and hopefully it will be a stepping stone in the path to a more sustainable future.