Nature is Pretty Neat

The importance of nature was a central theme of my childhood. I feel lucky to have been raised in a small mountain town. I am truly a product of my environment and appreciate where I come from immensely. Growing up, my family regarded nature in an almost religious way, or maybe more spiritual. For my dad, religion is not found in an organized group or building. His deepest connection to something outside himself is found within nature. This may seem like hippy-dippy spiritual mumbo jumbo, but I have found it to be true. Some of my earliest memories are driving up to ski every weekend with my dad. As we piled into the car, he would always say the same sentence before turning the key: “time to go to church”. For him, the mountain represents his religion and exploring it is a method of prayer. There are many ritualistic aspects of being outside and the preparation that goes into it. Overall being completely alone and surrounded by nature in an explicable feeling, and the closest definition I have found to religion. I have had several surreal moments in nature, where the environment you are in just seems to swallow you whole.

Clearly, nature has played a major role in my life, as I’m sure it does for everyone. I recently went on a trip to Banff, Canada where I got to do my all-time favorite activity: skiing. Trips like this one make the seasonal bum lifestyle even more enticing. I went with a group of around twenty CofC students, meaning there was limited alone time. One of the days I managed to ski around three runs alone after semi-purposefully losing the group in a tree run. Skiing alone has been a consistently meaningful thing to me. There is something about having complete control over how you get down the mountain, rather than stopping and planning out which run to take at every turn. Also, the solo chairlift rides are a few minutes of pure silence, allowing the focus to be solely on the surrounding views. The two or three minutes on the chair reminded me why my dad related this experience to a religious one and are almost meditative. Being in a mountain setting, surrounded by snow is when I feel most like myself. Nature has a way of making this sense of self possible.

Overall, nature has the ability to take you out of your own, seemingly large, but actually small reality. Spending time alone in nature gives you space to see past yourself and all your pointless worries. This I believe is why humans crave the natural benefits of being outside. It is an instant relief to sit in the sun, or under a tree, or in the grass. It is an attempt at connecting to our distant and ancestral ties to the natural world. We have, as a society, made an effort to distance ourselves from nature in the pursuit of comfortable lifestyles. Nature is now seen as something separate from us, rather than interconnected.

Nature + ME <3

I am a part of The Outdoors Club here at The College and I was lucky enough to go on a backpacking trip this past weekend to Florida! I have been a member of this club for only a year, but it has influenced my experience at The College tremendously. If it is unclear or unknown of what The Outdoors Club does, we basically do anything and everything outdoors. We go on backpacking trips, hiking trips, paddle-boarding, rock climbing, and any other outdoor activity you could think of. Even if it is just sitting outside to do your homework instead of inside, or just taking a walk to Colonial Lake.

Before college, I felt very connected to the natural world. My home in Kentucky is right next to a nature preserve that my dog and I would frequent quite often. Aside from this, a huge tradition in my family is camping. When my sister and other cousins were much younger, we would always go camping in Michigan for weeks at a time. Now that everyone is grown up, we rarely are able to all go camping together, but my family alone still makes it a priority. My family and I go on road trips every summer and camp for multiple weeks at a time. Because of all of this, I have always felt connected to nature.

During the Florida backpacking trip, I took a lot of time to myself. The hike we did was up to the summit of a mountain that overlooked a huge valley. There is something so special that I feel once I reach the summit of a mountain. Everything is so still and quiet. There is this sigh of relief because after the long hike there is finally this view that makes it all so worth it. The members on the trip all went to take some pictures on one side of the summit and find a place to have lunch while I went to the other side to sit and meditate. I set my phone down, found a flat space and just sat and breathed. I took in the view and appreciated the sounds of nature. I felt so relaxed and calm. Taking time away from everyday life, and especially away from technology, allows my body and mind to release and relax.

It is so important to be connected to nature because it allows respect for nature. When I am connected to nature I am a lot more aware of things that I do that affect nature. I find myself being a lot more conscious when I am doing everyday things. Also being connected to nature makes me physically feel better. If I am not outside on a nice day or am not able to explore in nature in a long time then I start to get very frustrated and angry because I begin to feel trapped.

I feel as if Americans can become very removed from nature and not in touch with nature. When we are removed from nature we do not see how our actions affect it. It is so beyond important to be connected with nature because we can quickly forget that we are living here with so many other people and organisms and things, instead of claiming the Earth selfishly as ours.