Location: Washington, D.C. or Abroad
Dates: Spring 2022
Position Summary: How far could a student internship at the U.S. Department of State take you? Just for starters, it would give you a coveted inside look at diplomacy in action, and the range of careers and responsibilities found in the Foreign Service and Civil Service. You’ll gain valuable work experience that you can apply to virtually every endeavor — whether you work in government or the private sector. Most of all, you will feel good about doing something worthwhile for your nation.
The U.S. Department of State Student Internship Program is an unpaid internship with the opportunity to work in U.S. embassies and consulates throughout the world, as well as in various bureaus located in Washington, D.C. and at Department offices around the United States. This program is designed to provide substantive learning experiences in a foreign affairs environment.
Duties: While the duties of U.S. Department of State Student Internship Program participants vary from bureau to bureau, office to office, and embassy to embassy, it is not uncommon for these students to:
- Participate in meetings with senior-level U.S. Government or foreign government officials
- Draft, edit, or contribute to cables, reports, communications, talking points, or other materials used by policymakers in furthering U.S. foreign policy objectives
- Support events, including international and/or multilateral meetings and conferences or
- Engage directly with U.S. audiences in helping to explain the work of the Department of State or foreign audiences in helping to promote U.S. foreign policy and improve understanding of U.S. culture and society
Application Deadline: September 7, 2021
Apply (or request more information): Check out this posting on the U.S. Department of State Student Internship Program site.
Megan GouldMegan Gould
- CofC Institutional Events: Seeks Administrative Support Specialist - October 10, 2021
- DART: Careers in Community Organizing for Social Justice - September 17, 2021
- D.C. United: Seeks Manager of Video Content - September 14, 2021