With who: Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission
Where: Charleston, SC
Description: Under the supervision of the Public Information Coordinator, the Marketing Intern will plan and prepare public relations and marketing campaigns. The Intern will assist with creating content for press releases, trade publications, social media and the web. The marketing intern will gain experience in consulting with clients to gather marketing requirements, developing a marketing communication plan, executing public relations efforts and working with the news media. This position will also assist with the digital marketing strategy including digital and e-mail advertising. This position will attend press meetings and other events that may require attendance during evenings or weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gather marketing requirements for upcoming programs and events through consistent interaction with internal staff
- Assist with the development of marketing internal communication plans
- Participate in the writing and distribution of news releases on all CCPRC programs and special events to media outlets including local and regional print media, television and radio stations.
- Assist with photo and video shoots, including hosting news media at parks
- Assist with TV/radio interview preparation with the potential to participating in an on-air interview
- Track media coverage on a weekly basis and work with Public Information Coordinator on news archiving project
- Act as a backup/support for media inquiries, fact checking, and fulfilling other media needs
- Participate in the creation of copy and creatives, audience research and set up for digital marketing campaigns
- Assist in the development of social media content
- Act as support for various website updates, including web content creation, monthly event calendar organization and URL troubleshooting
- Assist other marketing staff members with projects, including project management, media buys and graphic design
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to follow instructions effectively and to work with supervision in a responsible and competent manner.
• Ability to accept directions from those in a supervisory capacity; to be able to accept constructive criticism and to project good public relations.
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with fellow employees
• Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, in oral and written form.
• Ability to generate required work on a timely basis, with a high degree of accuracy, in proper format.
• Knowledge of social media platforms and best practices.
• Ability to identify opportunities for partnerships with local influencers
• Ability to generate and research sponsorship sales leads
• Shall possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Minimum Training and Experience: Marketing Intern must have a high school diploma and currently be pursuing a four year college degree in marketing, communication, journalism, English or related field, preferably with some completed coursework in their major. Some marketing experience preferred but not required.
Working Conditions and Physical Abilities: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee:
•Work is of an administrative nature and is performed indoors, with prolonged periods of sitting and fine manipulation skills required for computer use.
•Work is of a combination of office and outdoor environments.
•This position requires a professional demeanor and an orientation towards customer service.
•Work is performed in a fast-paced office setting with frequent interruptions
•Requires the occasional need to pick up or deliver items in the community and to other County departments.
•Must be able to operate standard office equipment including personal computer, multi-line phone system, fax machine, and copier.
•Hand-eye coordination and fine manipulation skills are necessary to operate computers and other office machinery.
•This position also requires good listening skills.
•Must possess a clear speaking voice and the ability to communicate fluently in the English language.
Deadline: March 31, 2022
to apply on Handshake.