With Who: Huguenot Society of South Carolina
Location: Charleston, SC
Dates: Fall 2021 (August 24 – December 6)
Hours: 10 per week
Compensation: $13 per hour, based on qualifications
Position Description: (This is a paid internship.) The Huguenot Society of South Carolina was founded in 1885 to preserve the memory of the French Protestants (Huguenots) who fled religious persecution in the 17th and 18th centuries. Rather than forsake their faith, the Huguenots left their homes, families, and the life they knew in search of a place where they could worship and live freely. Their independent spirit and determination in the face of persecution is as inspiring today as it was the day their first ship arrived. We are a genealogical society with membership based on descent from a Huguenot ancestor, and an historical society with a library and archive providing research opportunities to the general public.
The Society maintains a genealogical library collection of more than 5,000 items dating to the 16th century, supported by an international membership of 1500 and growing. The Society seeks an intern with experience writing, proofreading, editing and desktop publishing—experience with Adobe InDesign and InCopy preferred—to manage membership communications. The Society publishes a bi-annual newsletter composed in AP style, and an annual journal composed in MLA style.
Duties and Tasks: The intern will assist the Executive Director and collaborate with research staff to perform the following tasks:
- assist with the production and editing of Society’s journal and newsletter
- correspond with scholars submitting to journal
- correspond with staff and officers submitting to newsletter
- organize newsletter and journal content on Society file-sharing network
- organize newsletter and journal content as drafts in progress, in order to facilitate publication
- generate original content for journal and newsletter; book reviews, announcements, obits, new members, etc.
- conduct interviews and compose member profiles that will be adapted to interactive online user experiences
- if skills/time available/interest allow, redesign journal and newsletter
Application Deadline: September 17, 2021 at 12:00 AM.
Apply (or request more information): To apply, check out the full posting on the CofC Handshake portal. In addition to a letter of interest and résumé/CV, interested applicants must provide three references with knowledge of their qualifications and a link to an online portfolio of writing, editing and design samples.