With who: CityBridge Education
CityBridge Education’s vision is for the nation’s capital to be the first city-level proof point for an excellent, equitable education system. A Washington, DC-based nonprofit, they incubate the people, ideas, and conversations needed for equity-centered innovation in DC’s public schools. They do this by identifying talented leaders and entrepreneurs who can solve the educational needs and challenges of DC families, deploying particular effort to recruiting leaders of color. They then incubate and invest in the best of their ideas and, together, bring to market the next generation of transformational public schools and education ventures.
Where: Washington, DC
The Associate, Communications and Events is a key member of the cross-functional Network Engagement team, which focuses on engaging, growing, and cultivating relationships with CityBridge’s external network, as well as development and communications efforts for the organization. The Associate will support the execution of CityBridge’s communications and events strategy, helping to grow awareness of CityBridge and elevate the projects we support through content and collateral creation, convenings, and logistical support. The Associate will actively steward our brand, our standard of excellence, and commitment to equity in all that they do.
This is a full-time, DC-based position and requires living in the Metropolitan DC area and working in-person office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Preferred start date is by early August 2022, and they expect the Associate to commit to at least two years with CityBridge.
- Content Creation & Reporting (50%): You will support the development of CityBridge’s editorial calendar and the creation/design of engaging and relevant content (written, graphics, multimedia, etc.) for our robust set of digital communications channels. Working with the Director, Communications to approve posts and ensure tone and accuracy, you will manage the daily posting to social media channels. You will implement and ensure compliance with organizational brand guidelines, participating in CBE editorial processes. Additionally, you will monitor and report on activity and metrics for CityBridge’s website, social media, and email marketing campaigns, using data to provide constructive guidance to better engage our community.
- Logistical & Communications Support for Events (30%): You will work with the Director of Stakeholder Engagement to support logistics and communications for organization-wide events. Responsibilities include: the design, drafting, and distribution of invitations and event communications; tracking RSVPs and communicating with invitees; managing event vendors; supporting event logistics planning; and supporting onsite, day-of event execution.
- Project, Asset & Knowledge Management (10%): You will manage an extensive database of CityBridge network contacts, ensuring communication between MailChimp, the CityBridge website and additional databases as needed. Using Salesforce, you will create invitation lists, track communications touchpoints, and document and report on stakeholder engagement. You will manage and maintain Communications team folders, photo files, Canva project files, etc. and contribute to the development of the annual Communications budget.
- Learning, Innovation & Organizational Health (10%): Centering our organizational values of Abundant Possibility and Rigorous Growth, CityBridge strives to protect the time and space for every team member to learn (to get expert in their field, to grow professionally, to progress on their equity journey), to innovate (ideating and stretching to try out new strategies, approaches, responsibilities), and to actively contribute to internal, organization-wide work that shapes our culture and our systems.
- Storytelling experience—ability to translate content compellingly to various audiences and through multiple mediums
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Keen sense of appealing aesthetics and design (graphic design experience is a plus)
- Excellent customer service and relationship-building skills
- Capacity to toggle between multiple projects and workstreams, and to manage up and laterally to successfully complete projects
- Fluency in GoogleSuite
- Experience with the following tools is strongly preferred: HootSuite, Google Analytics, MailChimp, Salesforce, EventBrite, Adobe Creative Cloud suite, Canva
- Comfort with ambiguity and change; desire to join a small team in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- High level of emotional intelligence and demonstrated growth mindset
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion, and a deep belief in the brilliance of every child
CityBridge has a mandatory vaccination policy with the requirement that all employees be “up to date” on their COVID-19 vaccines unless they qualify for an exemption based on a medical condition, sincere religious beliefs, or other categories protected by applicable federal, state and local law.
Your team: You will report to: Director, Communications directly; Director, Stakeholder Engagement on specific projects
Network Engagement team: Senior Director, Network Engagement; Director, Communications; Director, Stakeholder Engagement; Director, Development; Associate, Development
Salary and Benefits: The starting salary range for this position is $50,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience, and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including health (medical, dental, vision) insurance and 401(k) matching. Our total rewards package strives to meet our team’s intersectional needs around wellness, work-life balance, and flexibility, as well: We offer unlimited vacation days, 30+ annual paid holidays including office-wide Mental Health Days, flexibility to work remotely several days a week, early dismissal Summer Fridays, pre-tax commuter benefits, an annual professional development allocation, free access to the Watergate’s brand-new fitness facility, discounted gym memberships, and more.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and sample work product on this page. The sample work product should a) be an external communications deliverable (ideally a blog post, a series of social media posts, an email newsletter, or other written material) that you authored and b) demonstrate a time when you used storytelling to convey a message. A link to complete a brief one-way video interview to complete your application will be emailed to you immediately after you submit your written materials via this application portal.
The application deadline is Friday, May 27, 2022. The process will include an initial phone interview; performance task; a final interview day including interviews with the hiring manager, Network Engagement team, and a cross-section of CityBridge team members; and reference checks.