Program Dates and Fee:
June 7-June 26, 2022 | Program Fee coming soon* (subject to change and does not include tuition or airfare)
Students take the following courses:
- ARTH 290: European Cities Before & After the Wall
- ARTH 306: Post-Socialist Contemporary Art
What can we learn about walls and borders? How do you different political systems create and divide communities, and how people have struggled to heal their homeland after they have been torn apart? This 16 day journey by railroad through six cities in three countries will explore those questions through the art and architecture of Eastern Europe. We will explore a part of the world that has moved from communism to capitalism in a brutally short time span. We will be looking at this history In the art works, architecture, urban fabric, and other marks of change on the people and the places they call home.
We will explore how artists worked and survived under state control, and what artists are doing today to find their voice in a new European context. How do contemporary artists attempt to confront and reconcile with the legacy of their conflicted history and bridge former walls? Can good architecture be made by problematic institutions and regimes, and how has architecture evolved in present conditions, when freedom is mixed with instability? What is the role of memory in the renovation and or preservation of architecture as people work to heal from some of the most oppressive governments in modern history? Kiev and Lviv, Ukraine (6 days); Krakow and Wroclaw, Poland (5 days); Dresden and Berlin, Germany (5 days).
Financing Summer Study Abroad:
- In-state residents pay the in-state tuition rate.
- Out-of-state residents pay the in-state tuition rate plus 30% for courses associated with summer study abroad programs.
- The Center for International Education offers scholarships from $500- $2,000. Eligibility is based on demonstrated financial need, academic merit, 2 faculty recommendations and a personal statement. Learn more here.
- You may be eligible for additional financial aid during the summer term.
Application Deadline: February 15, 2022