Program Dates and Fee:
May 10-May 27, 2022 | $2,490* (does not include tuition)
Students take one of the following courses:
- BIOL 341: General Ecology (4 credits)
- BIOL 250: Neotropical Ecology (4 credits)
If student chooses BIOL 341 they must have previously completed BIOL 211
Examine a wide variety of habitats including coral reefs, mangroves, seagrass meadows, rocky shores, wet and dry caves, riparian systems, tropical rainforest, and cloud forest. Options are a combined lecture/lab course in General Ecology (BIOL 341) or Tropical Ecology (BIOL 250) that will take place for the majority of time at a biological field station in Panama. You will also gain exposure to diverse local cultures and should be prepared for physical activities including snorkeling, hiking, caving, tree climbing, swimming, and/or rafting. The lecture portion of the BIOL 341 course will focus on fundamental ecological concepts and terminology. The format of the lab will specifically emphasize tropical ecology and consists of natural history labs, independent research, and class field experiments. BIOL 250 is discussion-based, coupled to natural history and field experimental labs.
Please contact Dr. Craig Plante at email@example.com if you have any questions about this program.
Introduction video from Dr. Plante
Financing Summer Study Abroad:
- In-state residents pay the in-state tuition rate.
- Out-of-state residents pay the in-state tuition rate plus 30% for courses associated with summer study abroad programs.
- The Center for International Education offers scholarships from $500- $2,000. Eligibility is based on demonstrated financial need, academic merit, 2 faculty recommendations and a personal statement. Learn more here.
- You may be eligible for additional financial aid during the summer term.
Application Deadline: February 15, 2022
Study Abroad 101 OAKS Course
Ready to learn more about studying abroad? Self-register for our Study Abroad 101 OAKS Course! Once you log into OAKS through MyCharleston, click on Self Register in the top right corner. Select Study Abroad 101 and review all of the modules and learn more about study abroad!