Program Dates and Fee:
May 21- May 30, 2022 | Program fee coming shortly* (Will not include tuition)
Students take the following courses:
- TRANS 360: Global Logistics in a Major Asian Port: The Case of Hong Kong (3 credits)
- SCIM 360: Lean Process in Asian Ports (3 credits)
Students choose from SCIM 360 (Lean Process in Asian Ports) or TRAN 360 (Global Logistics in a Major Asian Port: The Case of Hong Kong). Lean logistics, like lean manufacturing, focuses on the four walls of a structure and within a domestic organization. This time the distribution center, instead of a factory. There are many suppliers and many logistics service providers in a supply chain. Some of these are visible; some are less visible. Many suppliers or logistics service firms do not practice lean. Taking lean outside the four walls of the company into other firms brings global complexity into the challenge of implementing and becoming lean.
Hong Kong is one of the oldest and most important ports in Asia. With its long history as a British colony, Hong Kong evolved into China’s window on the west. The return of the Territory to China on July 1, 1997 profoundly impacted the areas of global logistics, distribution, transportation, and related infrastructure. The study tour will include lectures by global experts as well as on-site visits to major transportation and logistics facilities. The week-long stay in Hong Kong will include visits to, among other sites, the Port of Hong Kong and Hong Kong Air Cargo Terminals Ltd (HACTL). Students will also be exposed to cultural sites both in the city (The Peak, Nathan Road) and outside (Lantau Island, the Golden Bauhinia Square).
Financing Summer Study Abroad:
- In-state residents pay the in-state tuition rate.
- Out-of-state residents pay the in-state tuition rate plus 30% for courses associated with summer study abroad programs.
- The Center for International Education offers scholarships from $500- $2,000. Eligibility is based on demonstrated financial need, academic merit, 2 faculty recommendations and a personal statement. Learn more here.
- You may be eligible for additional financial aid during the summer term.
Application Deadline: February 15, 2022