Program Dates and Fee:
Mid-January – Early May 2022 | $6,400* (subject to change and does not include tuition)
Students will pay their normal College of Charleston semester tuition and a program fee. The program fee of $6,400 (estimated), includes the round-trip airfare from Charleston to Spain, housing with local Spanish families, 3 meals a day provided by the families, comprehensive international medical insurance, and the International Student ID card. Also included in the program fee is the costs for the two planned program excursions, including the transportation, hotels, 2 meals a day, and entrances into sites and museums.
Additional costs beyond the tuition and program fee are: passport fees, student visa fees, any personal travel and other personal expenses/spending money during the semester, and one meal per day while on the planned program excursions.
Students must enroll in at least 12 credit hours (4 courses) while in Trujillo to maintain their full-time student status at the College of Charleston. The courses offered are actual College of Charleston classes, therefore students will earn grades just as they would if they were offered on campus. Grades will factor in the student’s GPA at the College. Classes are held at the Coria, a 17th century restored convent, from Monday to Thursday weekly, providing students long weekends to explore Trujillo, the Extremadura region, and Spain.
- SPAN 275: Spanish Skills Review (3)
- SPAN 328: Spanish Language Study Abroad (3)
- SPAN 313: Spanish Language Study Abroad (3)
- SPAN 320: Introduction to Textual Analysis (3)
- SPAN 333: Topics in Hispanic Cultures (3)
- SPAN 381: Introduction to Spanish Linguistics (3)
- SPAN 300: TBD (on-line)
- SPAN 400: TBD (on-line)
*Courses subject to change based on demand
The College of Charleston’s spring semester study abroad program in Trujillo, Spain is designed for students who major or minor in Spanish, or who are interested in earning 12 -15 credit hours of upper level Spanish; or for students from any academic discipline interested in developing fluency in Spanish while maintaining normal progress towards graduation. Classes are held in the Coria, a 17th century restored convent, from Monday through Thursday weekly, allowing students ample time to explore Spain. Students will live with local Spanish families.
You can view the promotional flyer here:
The program directors share more about this faculty-led program in this short video
The program directors will host an information session on ADD at ADD. Sign up to attend here:
For questions related to academics and program logistics, please contact the program director, Dr. Antonio Pérez-Nuñez at email@example.com. For all other questions. please contact the CIE at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-953-7661.
- Students must have completed, or be in the process of completing Spanish 202 prior to participating in the program
- Students must have at least a 2.5 overall GPA
- Students must either already possess a valid passport, or be able to obtain a passport
- Students must apply for a student visa issued by the Consulate of Spain
Financing Study Abroad:
- In most cases, all of your normal financial aid applies.
- The Center for International Education offers scholarships from $500- $2,500. Eligibility is based on demonstrated financial need, academic merit, 2 faculty recommendations and a personal statement. Learn more here.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2021
Study Abroad 101 OAKS Course
Ready to learn more about studying abroad? Self-register for our Study Abroad 101 OAKS Course! Once you log into OAKS through MyCharleston, click on Self Register in the top right corner. Select Study Abroad 101 and review all of the modules and learn more about study abroad!