Culture, Customs, and Traditions by Brooke Cameron

Learning about the culture, customs, and traditions in a new place is the best part about studying abroad. I’ve attended a couple events since being here, the biggest being Carnaval. I would describe Carnaval as a parade full of music, dancing, and overall good vibes. For one night, I traveled with two friends to another part of Argentina that is well known for their Carnavals and it was absolutely incredible! Aside from that, I have just been to little events around Buenos Aires when I can. I have yet to make it to a fútbol game, but I am really hoping to before I leave!

As far as the language goes, I have certainly picked it up. Not only have I improved the Spanish I already knew, but I learned the dialect here too. For example, they use a different “you” tense than what I learned in my Spanish classes, and I use this much more than what I originally learned.

In the way of culture shock, I feel I have not experienced too much of this. I have generally felt very comfortable here. I would say the only two things that bother me sometimes are feeling out of place and being nervous to go out. I feel that often times people can tell I am not from here, without me even having to say anything. A lot of this probably has to do with how I dress, but I am not going to change how I dress so it is something I’ve learned to just get used to. And I have come across other people that dress more like I do or also in a different way than the general population, so I know I am not totally out of the norm. For going out, it can just be really stressful being in such a large, new place. Charleston is very comfortable as it is easy to get to know, but here, I think it would take years to fully get to know Buenos Aires.

I would say I have adapted pretty well to the cultural differences here. Most of the things I have tried I have enjoyed, such as trying new foods (and learning how to make them too!), listening to music, and learning social behaviors. Allowing yourself to be open to new changes is the most important part in adjusting and is what I believe made it easier to adjust to the different culture. And it is so fun to experience the parts of a different culture, whether you end up enjoying it or not. I found I love drinking and sharing mate and in turn I will definitely be adopting this into my life. I am sure you will be able to find me on campus in the Fall with mate in hand!