Living like a Local by Nicholas Hobar

While on my study abroad journey two countries that I have visited with some of the best/worst/& overall most interesting experiences of my life would have to be the two Hellenic countries of the world, Greece and Cyprus. While in these two countries I was able to experience so much in terms of international culture and cuisine of the Eastern Mediterranean world. My two most favorite foods I was able to try while in Cyprus and Greece that contain the fusion of the Eastern Mediterranean world would be Shawarma and Gyros! With both of these foods being shared across ethnicities and cultures across the Mediterranean Sea, so too are the recipes and different ways of making them as well. My favorite way of making both wraps/sandwiches are with slow cooked lamb on a spit, shaved off and put onto either the peta or wrap with whatever toppings you desire. 

Besides food, some of the best ways to meet and connect with locals is just enjoying what the local city has to offer instead of what the tourist city has to offer. For example, while in Athens you can go see the Acropolis (which I still did :)) with the other tourists, or you can go see Syntagma square which is one of the centers of local culture within the city that contains all sorts of local food and shop venders of all varieties.

While in these two beautiful countries I unfortunately wasn’t able to stay with a host family, however while in Cyprus I spent most of my time in Limassol (the most populated southern port city of the island) and during my time there carnival was going on to celebrate life before the Chritian holiday of lent where people give up something they love for 40 days. One day during night time while celebrating carnival in the city my fellow international students and friends ran into another group of locals all around the same age as one another. That night as a whole, all of us were able to; hangout, eat great food, party, and experience what carnival in Cyprus was truly about with the locals themselves. All in all, the best way to truly immerse yourself in a new country’s culture, customs, and practices is to go out with a good group of friends and put yourself out there to meet and interact with the locals, and to most importantly have a great time while doing it!

One thought on “Living like a Local by Nicholas Hobar