Reflection by Olivia Weick

After spending four months abroad, I think the best piece of advice I could give to another student is to be open-minded. There were many instances where I found myself very nervous to try new things. Whether it was staying in a hostel or trying a local recipe. However, in the end being open minded allowed me to meet so many new friends and really indulge myself into the culture.

There were many things that I accomplished during my time abroad that I am proud of. I learned how to navigate new places and how to make the most of any situation. Academically, I accomplished my goal of improving my skills in the French language. Before coming to La Rochelle, I can admit that my French was not nearly as good as it is today. Finally being able to grasp another language is something that I am really proud of.

In the future, I can definitely see myself doing an internship or finding a career abroad. As soon as I decided that I wanted to major in international business, working abroad became a goal of mine. I love the way of life overseas and can imagine myself really enjoying my adulthood abroad. Now that I only have three semesters left at College of Charleston, I have began exploring positions abroad, and even have placed a deeper thought into participating in the TAPIF program.

My time in France absolutely helped me prepare for my future career and most of all allowed me to advance my skills in the French language. This experience also taught me how to interact with other cultures, respecting our differences and also learning how to be a respectful guest in a new place. As a major in international businesses, the new skills that I acquired while abroad will be very helpful to my career and future.