Reflection by Lauren Graves

My study abroad trip to Florence went by very fast; it was only 2.5 months. I am sure that most people feel this way about their study abroad experiences, though, regardless of the actual length of them. That being said, I think that the quick nature of the trip added to my experience; it encouraged me to live every day and every week with an immense appreciation for the experience I was having. It never got old.

For future students who consider this program, I would encourage them not to see the trip as an opportunity to explore Europe, but as an opportunity to explore Italy. Many of my fellow students got on planes every weekend and went to Paris, London, Amsterdam, etc. I did take one big trip. It was to Barcelona. My experience in Barcelona was amazing, but the stress and time required to get there and back made me grateful that I hadn’t planned any other big trips. The day trips and weekend trips that I took within Italy were the most rewarding moments of my abroad experience. Italy has amazing, affordable, safe public transportation, which made me feel so free. I am glad that I spent time digging deeper into Italian culture and visiting small towns and local events rather than spending a full day every weekend on transportation to get to another country.

Life moves fast thanks to technology and globalization. Italy showed me how to introduce slowness back into your life. One of the best ways to incorporate slowness is through food. Preparing, cooking, and eating food can and should be a thoughtful experience. It can connect you to culture and the planet. Eating is not feeding. I believe that incorporating Italian beliefs about food into American life could have personal health benefits and widespread cultural benefits.

I would certainly like to work or live abroad in the future. My time in Italy showed me that while living in a new place is difficult (you feel like an outsider, especially not knowing the language) it gave me a massive appreciation for history, culture, and geography.