Cultural Outing in La Rochelle, France by Jack Watson

While studying in La Rochelle, France, I have had ample opportunity to observe and experience French culture and expand my knowledge of its history. Recently, I went with a couple of other American students to the Tour de la Lanterne in La Rochelle for the Journée du Patrimoine, or the day of patrimony across the country of France. During this day, areas of cultural heritage in France are opened up to the public, and I was fortunately able to visit one of the three towers that mark the skyline of La Rochelle.
The other two towers are named the Tour Saint-Nicholas (after the Catholic saint who is the patron saint of Sailors) and the Tour de la Chaîne (after the chain that was raised to allow entrance into the old port of La Rochelle). However, I visited the Tour de la Lanterne because I really wanted to see the tower’s namesake: the lantern. I made the right choice. The stained glass was incredible. Here is a picture: The tower itself also had a lot to offer. Before it was turned into a historical site, it had several other uses, including as a prison. In fact, you can still see old-fashioned graffiti that prisoners engraved into the walls using their chains. It was honestly pretty sobering to see these, as you found yourself in the rooms where people were imprisoned for years. However, the artwork they created offered quite an insight into the identity of the prisoners, as it varied from religious symbols to random phrases in English.
On this language note, I am learning French while I am here in La Rochelle, which has been incredibly useful in traveling around the country, navigating differences in culture and traditions, and also understanding historical sites more fully (as exemplified by the tower’s prison). I am a French major, so I have studied the language before coming over. It has proved quite handy, especially while we were looking at the city from the top of the tower. There was what one may call a traffic jam in the tiny look-out area, with several French people decidedly going in opposite directions so that everyone was stuck in the air, and I was able to help direct the traffic while using my French. Here’s another view from the top of the tower:
La Rochelle is on the border between the north and south of France, but it identifies more with the south based on the history of the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region and other historical developments. This is reflected in several ways, like through small language quirks (e.g. chocolatine vs. pain au chocolat) and through the roofs that the Rochelais use! As you can see in this picture, the south has terracotta tiled roofs in the Mediterranean style, as compared to the slate roofs of the north. Learning about regional differences like this has also expanded my understanding of the rich history of the country.