Typical Day in France by Cameron Wilson

For me a typical day in France begins with bread and coffee. Each morning the other students in my dorm and I eat breakfast together on the bottom floor of the residence. Breakfast is that of typical French students, usually toast with jam and coffee or a croissant. After breakfast I attend class or go study at one of the university buildings. Most of my classes are with fellow international students, so mealtimes have been one great opportunity to meet French students. I often meet French students while at breakfast or while cooking in the communal kitchens in my dormitory. Asking people what they are cooking is always a great icebreaker. Speaking with French students is not only rewarding because I get to learn about their lives and culture, but it is also a great way to practice French outside of the classroom, as most exchange students speak English with one another.

I am living in the Hauts-de-France region, which is well known for their waffles, and in the dining hall, one of these accompanies almost every meal. The region makes thin waffles, similar to Stroopwafels, with a variety of fillings inside as well as thicker waffles with crystalized sugar (I included a picture of this one). These waffles have become an unexpected favorite of mine. The region is also well known, unsurprisingly, for their cheese. Lille is known for a stinky cheese called Vieux Lille, which I have still yet to try. While I have loved the waffles, I think my favorite food that I have tried has been croissants! (I know it is stereotypical, but they really are amazing. They are baked fresh every morning and only cost 1 euro!). I also included a picture of some of the treats sold at a nearby bakery.