Reflection by Rebecca Davis

Taking a trip to another country is an amazing opportunity that should be utilized by all college students. I cannot stress how important it is to experience other cultures in order to become aware of such diversity. I would advise other students to take advantage of this time in college to go on a study abroad program, even if for a few weeks rather than a semester because it will impact every aspect of their lives moving forward. However, students should not go into a program expecting it to be a vacation or an easy way to earn credits. Instead, it should be used as a way to immerse yourself in a new culture and embrace everything that comes with it. As expected, I was a bit nervous going into this experience, but I am very proud of myself for going out of my comfort zone and dedicating two weeks to learning and experiencing the way the locals in Ecuador live. Future students should be ready and excited to learn as they go on these trips because it truly is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that can have a tremendous impact on one’s life. My plan is to go to medical school in order to become a doctor, and this trip has emphasized how important it is to bring good healthcare to those who need it and don’t have access to it. It is also very important to be able to communicate with people, which is why I am going to continue my Spanish studies. I would also advise future students to take the time before they depart to do some research and learn about where they are going beforehand. This will be very helpful as it will provide some background knowledge and allow them to feel more prepared going into the program. Additionally, it might be a good idea to go on one of these trips without a cellphone, which is what one student on our trip did. This will allow you to disconnect and spend more time appreciating the culture around you. Overall, this was an incredible experience, and I would love to study abroad again, possibly for an entire semester because two weeks simply wasn’t enough!