The French Riviera by Brooke Emery

After a few days of anticipation in Paris, we boarded our train for Nice, France. I have always dreamed of being able to travel to the south of France, but I was severely unprepared (in the most wonderful way) for what I was about to experience. Firstly, the actual train ride to Nice was unbelievable. We got to see every part of France, from the city, to the rural vineyards, to the mountainous coastline. I would not let myself fall asleep in fear of missing something!

Secondly, the food in this region of France was likely some of the best I have ever had, and that means a lot coming from a foodie like me. Not only the f

ood, but the experience of having a meal, was completely unmatched to both Paris and Switzerland. The first night, we aimed to eat dinner on the beach. We found many options, but decided on a restaurant named Plage Beau Rivage that was relatively close by to our hotel. Once we were seated at our table, we were able to see and hear the Mediterranean only a few yards away. After much back and forth, I decided on their truffle gnocchi. I could not have made a better decision! This was, by far, the best pasta I have ever had. It had the perfect amount of cheese and truffle flavor and the gnocchi itself was a showstopper. As if it could not get any better, I tried everyone else’s food and was just as impressed! I can almost guarantee that I will never stop talking about this pasta, but I am not done with obsessing over the food in Nice. Our last meal that we had in Nice was at a place called Mamma Mia. It was among a cluster of restaurants that surrounded the farmers market. We chose this restaurant due to its festive atmosphere, but also due to its happy hour. Not only did I have the best cocktail that I have ever had, but the most amazing carbonara. For the small price of 14 euro, I was given at least three servings of pasta. I will never get over the affordability of pasta in Europe!

Lastly, the beaches of Nice were unbeatable. I have never swam in the Mediterranean, and it surely did not disappoint. Rather than sand, the beaches were made of stones. I cannot say that I enjoyed this aspect, but it did add to the beauty of the beaches. The water was crystal clear, even when I was waist deep! Yes, it may have been freezing cold, but that did not stop me from swimming on multiple occasions even if it meant losing feeling in my toes.

I cannot wait to return to the South of France and explore even more of the Riviera culture and cuisine!