Learning Everywhere by Justin Guzzo

When you are studying abroad, every day is a learning experience. Some of my dest days abroad for me would be Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is because on Tuesdays, I had no class, so some friends and I would go on day trips to cities across Italy. Sometimes we would go to major Italian cities like Milan, Venice, or Rome, which was amazing to explore and learn about all the things that make these cities historic. With there, Duomos like the one in the first image of the Duomo di Milano which was spectacular and very different than the Duomo in Florence. However, these major cities would be crowded with tourists and be a mess to navigate at times. The cities that are not as well known as Rome, for instance, would be a city like Bologna. Bologna is where so many Italian food items come from, like parmesan cheese and tortellini that tasted absolutely scrumptious in the city. Another city that was one of my favorites was the walled city of Lucca; it was breathtaking. Walking along the wall around the city is something I will never forget. Thursdays abroad, we would have field trips to locations I personally never would have gone on my own. My personal favorites were truffle hunting, cooking class, and our trip to Pompeii. You can see in the second image the time I went truffle hunting with my program. These experiences taught me so much I never even thought of before, about traditions and techniques, and I am forever thankful for these experiences I received. These experiences made me more aware of cultural diversity and how people live and work in other parts of the world. I got to learn over these last couple of months all about Italy’s long and fascinating past.