Reflection by Kalie Henderson

It is been almost a month since my study abroad program ended and I still cannot believe it’s over, time really flew by! I went into this experience anxious and doubtful of what this semester could hold for me, but left extremely grateful for all the wonderful friendships I made and amazing experiences I had. I know everyone says how life changing studying abroad is, but it’s 100% true and if you have the opportunity to do it, DO IT. My advice for future students is to not let the fear of the unknown hold you back from some of the best memories you’ll experience during college. A semester abroad is challenging but more importantly, it is also such a rewarding time.

My semester abroad experience prepared me for my future career, as I hope to be able to travel with my job and be able to adjust to new cultures quickly. During my time abroad, I accomplished professional and personal goals that I had set for myself prior to the semester. I fulfilled my academic goals by getting all A’s this semester, finishing my communication major strong and learning extensively about the Italian film industry in my independent study. In addition, I accomplished my personal goals while abroad which I am so proud of! Mainly, just by studying abroad I was pushing myself outside of my comfort zone and I made lasting friendships with individuals from my program.

Studying abroad impacted how I think about my identity and place in this world. It allowed me to discover how independent I really am and my ability to adapt to big changes in my life! You really learn a lot about yourself when you are placed in a completely new environment and culture. Without a doubt, I would love to intern, work or even study abroad again in the future!