Siesta by Charlie Forstein

In Spain, days are about two hours delayed. Days start around 9 am, lunch around 2 pm, dinner at 9 pm, sleep at 2 am. For me, this adjustment was different than what I am used to in the United States (typically I start my day at 7 am!). However, the saving grace of these late nights is known as “Siesta.” A siesta is a period of rest taken between 2-5 pm where everything stops. Stores close, people go home to enjoy “Comida” together, and people take time for rest.

At first, I didn’t understand why stores would close at the peak hours of daytime activities, but as I’ve become more comfortable in Spain, I have leaned into the idea of the siesta. Every day after my classes, my roommates and I eat lunch together and then separate for our afternoon naps. This period of rest makes every day feel like two days, giving me more time to enjoy the city that I am in! For example, in the morning I go to class, to the beach, and grocery shop, After siesta, I go on a hike, hang out with friends and do homework. While this is just one day, I can pack more activities in because of the built-in break.

While this was never something I lived with before, I do not think siesta is something that I cannot live without now. In different regions of Spain, siesta is practiced differently. For example, Alicante takes siesta very seriously, but when I visited Barcelona, many stores and activities stayed open. Now, I can’t go a day without stopping to take a siesta. This everyday practice in Spain is something I will try to take back into my busy life in the States.