Intro by Kalie Henderson

My name is Kalie Henderson and I am a communication major with a minor in film studies at the College of Charleston. Academically, I have a senior standing and will be graduating in the winter of 2022. My study abroad program is a faculty led program through the College of Charleston that is jointly administered by CEA, a study abroad organization. My program is located in Florence, Italy and focuses on the Slow Food movement through courses in Communication, English, Women’s and Gender Studies, Film Studies and History. The program begins in February of 2022 and ends in mid-April of 2022. I chose this program mainly because it perfectly fit my major and minor which allows me to continue earning my required credits while exploring a new culture and challenging myself individually. While abroad, I have set personal and academic goals I hope to achieve. Personally, I want to push myself out of my comfort zone while being abroad, make lasting friendships with individuals in my program and challenge myself creatively by filming and editing videos as time capsules of my experiences to look back on. In addition, I want to maintain my high GPA, finish my major strong and expand my knowledge of the film industry in Italy. I plan to enhance my writing and capture my experiences through my journaling and in the blog posts for the Center of International Education. In order to be best prepared, I have done research on my host country and their cultural norms. I have familiarized myself with some of Italy’s social norms, appropriate dress codes, typical meal times and basic Italian sayings that I can use. I have also researched important historical facts of Florence and traditions or holidays that could occur when I am living in Italy. I am thrilled for this opportunity to study abroad and immerse myself in a new culture!