Introduction by Emily Turner

Ciao amici! My name is Emily Turner, and I am a junior originally from Richmond, Virginia, majoring in International Studies and Hospitality & Tourism Management. Because I am also pursuing a minor in Italian Studies, I have chosen to study abroad during the Fall 2021 semester at the Umbra Institute in Perugia, Italy.

Since I began taking Italian classes in high school four years ago, I have developed a deep passion for Italian language and culture. I was fortunate enough to travel to Italy during the summer of 2018, where I spent time learning about Italian culture by exposing myself to different regional cuisines, dialects, and traditions. As a senior in high school at the time, studying abroad – specifically to Italy – was a primary factor in my decision to attend the College of Charleston. I was thrilled by the opportunities students had before me to immerse themselves in a new language, culture, and location, and I could not wait to do the same.

My research in different study abroad programs was driven largely by my goals to have full language immersion, and receive credit by enrolling in courses that I could only take while living in Italy. The Umbra Institute’s food studies program offers various courses in history, culture, anthropology, and more disciplines which satisfy requirements for my major while expanding my previous knowledge of Italian culture. While I already had some experience traveling throughout Italy, I was attracted by the city of Perugia – one which I had never visited but had researched prior to my departure. Perugia is famous for being a medieval city home to multiple universities for Italian and foreign students (not to mention its annual chocolate festival in the fall). When I chose to attend the Umbra Institute, I knew that my selection of this program and city would allow me to gain a deeper understanding of Italy overall.

Although the pandemic delayed my original plans, I am so fortunate to have arrived at the Umbra Institute. Already I have been working toward my hopes of achieving greater Italian proficiency, with a long term goal of complete fluency at some point in the future. I am looking forward to the many adventures that await during my time abroad, both within the city of Perugia but also in other locations across Italy that I hope to explore during weekend and fall break travels.