First Month in Trujillo, Spain by Jerry Delagdo

*Written previously*

Hello, my name is Jerry Delgado and I am a sophomore at the College majoring in Exercise Science and minoring in Spanish. I am currently studying abroad in Trujillo, Spain. I chose to study abroad because I wanted to learn and explore the country that speaks the Spanish language.

It took me awhile before deciding to go abroad. I was a little nervous because I have never traveled so far. This is the first time that I’ve been apart from my family for a long period of time. When I first arrived, my host family welcomed me astoundingly with big hugs and kisses. They greeted me coming off the bus and took great care of me. They welcomed me into their home, then took me on a stroll around town. I grew very close to my family, we had plenty to talk about and they were super funny.

My first weekend here, me and a few other of my classmates decided to take a trip to Madrid, Spain for the weekend. I would highly advise that you stay in a hostel because it is super cheap and close to everything from malls, restaurants and tourist attractions. Madrid was totally different from what I expected. There were so many different people from different countries such as Africa, Italy, Germany and more. We visited many monuments and castles.

During the third weekend, my friends and I took a bus trip to Portugal and I was amazed how beautiful the country is. The food was great, and I was able to learn some words in Portuguese, although many of them spoke English. Some of my best days here would be hanging out with my classmates in Portugal.

Overall my first month in Europe has been so wonderful. During the month of March, I will be traveling to Paris, France and looking forward to visiting the very famous Eiffel Tower. I would highly encourage those who are studying abroad to purchase tickets at least a week to weeks in advance because prices are very expensive.