International Development Work in Amman by Farah Chowdhury

While abroad I had the opportunity to intern at a non-governmental organisation called Tkiyet Um Ali. This was by far my favorite part of study abroad. In addition to receiving course credit at The College, I also managed to explore a career path that interested me. At Tkiyet Um Ali, I was working with underprivileged persons in all governorates of the Hashemite Kingdom. This organisation not only offered food support programs, but, also had programs that focused on the other challenges their recipients faced i.e. unstable housing.

I chose to intern at Tkiyet Um Ali because of the opportunity to work hands on with beneficiaries, help people, the ability to work on a handful of different programs, and their reputability. The mission of this NGO is to work towards a hunger-free Jordan. TUA is impressively enough the first organisation of its kind in Jordan and the Arab World. It was founded in 2003 by Her Royal Highness Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein and works with many local and foreign companies to make its work possible.

Everyday at TUA was challenging and inspiring. Some of my daily tasks included drafting proposals to create awareness for and expand the organisation into the American conscious, translating volunteer contracts, translating recruitment powerpoints, and participating in various field studies. By doing so, I believe I got to understand the Jordanian language, culture, and politics in a way that I could not have done in a classroom setting. More importantly, I was able to connect with vulnerable Jordanian citizens and develop a sense of empathy for the issues they face that are overshadowed, in my opinion, by the large refugee community in the country.

If you find yourself in Jordan for a semester I would encourage you to stop by and volunteer or
intern at this organisation. I can guarantee that your time here will be valuable and incredibly eye
opening.
https://www.tua.jo/enw