The Truth About Homestays by Meredith Duncan

When choosing a study abroad program one of the biggest challenges is deciding where you want to live. Some programs offer student housing, some refer you to apartments, and some offer the opportunity to live with a family. Why did I want to live with a family? Kind of funny actually: I would have people that would have no choice but to hang out with me and take care of me.

Upon arrival, I was greeted with hugs, kisses, and plenty of food. I had a mom, dad, two brothers, and a grandmother in the house with me. My brothers were 20 and 22; I was 20. We also had a dog named Nelson! The family that I was assigned to was perfect for me. Our personalities matched super well and we liked some of the same things. I had my own room and shared a bathroom with my brothers. They gave me plenty of privacy but still encouraged me to get involved and invited me to do things with them.

Living with a family offered me a total immersion experience compared to living in a dorm or apartment with other students that may speak English. I was forced to speak Spanish all the time because my family knew no English; this was perfect because my number one goal while abroad was to develop my language skills.

I was also more immersed in the culture and daily lives of the locals. My mom fed me two meals a day: lunch and dinner. Sometimes I had things that were very familiar like pizza or hamburgers (which they made sure to laugh about with me being from America). Other times I had things like croquetas, seafood salads, or soups that I was unfamiliar with. We never failed to have french fries with any meal, which I noticed was true for most families and restaurants.

Watching my parents wake up, go to work, cook, clean, and enjoy free time allowed me to see smaller differences and similarities between my life in the US and my life in Spain. Participating in a homestay is something that I thoroughly enjoyed and would definitely do again!