Alumni Spotlight: Alexandra Helfgott ’19

Teotihuacán

I studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina in the fall of 2018 with Academic Programs International. It was a terrific experience – I made great friends, my Spanish progressed significantly, and I learned more than I could have ever imagined about Argentina, its culture, and its politics. While studying at Universidad Torcuato di Tella in Buenos Aires, I took a class on Peronism (a form of populism specific to Argentina), which had a profound impact on me, opening my eyes to a field within Political Science that I had never previously studied and even inspired my Bachelor’s Essay. 

In the spring of my senior year, I was awarded a Fulbright grant to serve as an English Teaching Assistant (ETA) in Mexico City at Universidad Pedagógica Nacional from August 2019 until March 2020. I was selected to be a Fulbright ETA mentor and will be returning to Mexico in September 2020 to assist the incoming cohort of grantees.

The time I’ve spent abroad has undoubtedly shaped me. It’s expanded my perspective, forced me to think critically, and taught me to be resourceful. It’s informed my academic interests and will certainly play a role in my graduate studies and long-term career goals. I plan to pursue a career in U.S. foreign policy with a specific focus on Latin America.