Thanksgiving in Italy by Olivia Soccio

Over Thanksgiving break I was lucky enough to have my mom and my little brother come and visit me in Milan. It was a busy and packed week with trips to Verona, Florence and Rome, Italy. I was a little sad about missing traditional Thanksgiving at home but this was a week I will definitely always remember. I showed my family around my new second home, Milan on the first day seeing sights like the Duomo and the galleria. The next day we went on a day trip to Verona, which is only about an hour and a half train ride away, where we saw the “Casa Di Giulietta”  and we really felt like we were in the Shakespeare story. The next day we traveled to Florence for a taste of Tuscany and explored the Gucci Garden museum, the top of the Florence duomo and the famous Ponte Vecchio bridge. However, the best part of the week was being able to spend Thanksgiving Day in Rome. We ate authentic Roman food such as pasta carbonara, artichokes, and cacio e Pepe pasta (not the traditional Thanksgiving food!) and lots of gelato. During the day we saw the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, did a private tour of the Vatican state and some shopping. The Vatican tour was just my mom, brother, the tour guide and I and it was so special and intimate. We saw many of the Vatican museums (54 in total) and the world famous Sistine Chapel painted by Michelangelo. This was hands down one of the most memorable and special tours I have ever been on. Spending my favorite holiday in the eternal city was an experience I will never forget and as the thanksgiving holiday wrapped up I realized I only had 2 more weeks left in Milan!