Learning Everywhere by Meredith Schilpp

My academic experience at The American College of Greece differs from classes at the College of Charleston because the school is a lot smaller so I have the same professors for multiple classes. The professors are more personal and maintain more eye contact and are more physical in general. Many of my professors will come over to and ask a question directly to an individual. One of my professors will come over and play with my hair or something but it is not weird, the Greeks are just more comfortable with physical affection. I have visited many historical sites and landmarks because Greece is full of such great history. I went to all the museums and historical sites and continually read the information provided. I was able to go to the Ancient Agora, The Roman Agora, The Acropolis, The Parthenon, Delphi’s archaeological museum, Kerameikos, and many, many more sites. I was able to learn about the rich Greek culture and history through these archaeological museums and historical sites through a first-hand experience. 

The most important thing that I have learned while studying abroad is that I am fully capable of anything if I put my mind to. I used to live in fear of not being able to do a task, getting lost, or not being able to do something without the help of others. Now, I am able to conquer many tasks because I have traveled the world! I have realized I am able to figure things out on my own and I do not fear asking for help if necessary. I have become aware of cultural diversity through this experience because I have been able to compare my personal views with first hand experiences discovered through the differences found in cultures. I feel far more aware and able to respond to differences in cultures rather than letting differences shock me too much. Once I have become aware of cultural differences, it begins to be easier to adjust and understand that everybody does not think the same way and many people do things a lot differently around the world. 

My best day abroad has to be going to the beach with my friends and roommates early in the morning to swim in the cold water and wake up. Then we went home and changed and went downtown Athens and explored the historical sites while making new friends and learning about the history of our city. Next, we went to dinner on a rooftop bar and were able to try many traditional Greek dishes. Overall, my roommates made my experience far better because they were all so excited to travel and make new memories through experience.