The Cigar Factory Discussion- Understanding Characters

Page 103 in the Cigar Factory, we see Meliah telling her son Vincent De Paul the story of Denmark Vesey.This story is a parallel to the relationship that both Binah and Cassie have with the Rolands. I think that this is an important part of the book because it allows the reader to see how similar both families are to each other. I also think it allows the readers to understand the characters even more. 

Denmark Vessy has historical significance to this story and the tale told of him is accurate. I think that including this helps to foreshadow the consequences of the other relationships in the story. Specifically the characters who use the Rolands to make a little extra money for their family. Still, I feel that it allows the reader to better sympathize with the women and can help take the frustration out of understanding these characters. They truly were just doing whatever they could to live. 

In class I asked if Binahs relationship to Mr. Roland is the same as Cassies relationship. In my opinion, I do not necessarily think that these relationships are formed for the same purpose.I think that Binahs behavior is more in spite of her own relationship with her husband while Cassie was truly looking out for her niece Bridgid and her great nephew Patrick. It is for this reason I found Cassie to be admirable. Her intention was  always to do whatever was best for her family. Still, I had a hard time interpreting her character. I found her to be selfish, and was disappointed in her views of other races. By the end of the book I feel she evolved into a more open minded person. I feel the evolution of Cassie’s character made the reading more interesting.