header image

Division Spotlight: Paty Cowden

Posted by: Jennifer Stevens | December 17, 2013 | No Comment |

patycowden

Paty Cowden, Grounds

Briefly describe your role.

I am the manager and am responsible for the daily scheduling, tracking labor hours and materials, hiring personnel, employee evaluations, departmental timesheets, and all budget issues and purchasing.

What is the function of your department?

We are responsible for maintaining the landscaping, renovating grounds as needed, decorating the graduation stages, as well as for the Faculty/Staff holiday party.

How long have you been working at the College?

14 years.

What brought you to the College?

I had been working at Wild Dunes for 9 years pre and post Hurricane Hugo, and wanted more of a challenge.

What do you like most about your job?

Our campus is so beautiful with its grand trees and historic buildings. As long as I have been here, I still discover things I never noticed before. And I have met some truly remarkable people here that I treasure knowing.

What are some of your favorite memories from the College?

Back in 1996 on April Fool’s Day, Judge Sanders, who was President at the time, sent out a memo to All Employees regarding Restroom Guidelines.  It required that a Restroom Trip Policy be established which would limit the number of trips allowed each month, as well as the time spent in the stall.  When I read the memo to the crew, their reaction and expressions were priceless. I still have the memo if anyone would like a copy.

What are your hobbies and interests?

Gardening, of course! Spending time with my new grandson, Fischer, my daughter, Laney, my dog, Godfrey, 3 cats, Moocipherous Spendiferous, Winnie, and Poe, and working on my house.

What is something that your colleagues would be surprised to learn about you?

I spent several years as a white water raft guide on the Chattoga river on the SC/GA state border, and on the Nolichucky and Ocoee rivers in Tennessee.  I also performed for several seasons at Carowinds doing a show with parrots.  It was called “Dr. Macaw’s Magnificent Medicine Show”, and they dressed me like Annie Oakley.

under: Business Affairs, Division Spotlight
Tags: , , ,

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories