header image

Division Spotlight: Priscilla Burbage

Posted by: Jennifer Stevens | March 20, 2013 | No Comment |

priscilla burbage

Priscilla Burbage, Vice President, Fiscal Services

Briefly describe your role.

I act as an advisor and support team member in securing and managing financial, human, and physical resources necessary for the successful operation of the College in support of its mission and to meet its strategic goals.

What is the function of your department?

My division is responsible for the business management and reporting activities of the College.  An oversimplification: we collect money, we pay bills, we make payroll, and we formulate and manage the budget; all while complying with federal and state laws, professional standards, rules and regulations. I like to say that our success is measured in the timeliness and accuracy of information provided that allows the institution to make pro-active rather than re-active decisions.

How long have you been working at the College?

Over 38 years

What brought you to the College?

My mother was here and loved it. I needed a job and health insurance because my young family was struggling financially because one of my daughters was sick and needed surgery. Two things happened; it became clear we needed to keep health insurance, and I became part of the magic that is the College.

What do you like most about your job?

I get great satisfaction in serving others. I like to think I make a difference at the College though the difference the College has made for me is much more pronounced.

What are some of your favorite memories from the College?

With each change in administration (seven Presidents, three EVP’s), I have had the opportunity to work closely with leadership teams in capturing and shaping a vision, not just a plan, and contributing to the realization of the vision.

What are your hobbies and interests?

I like to have family and friends over for cookouts, oyster roasts, swim parties, boating activities, lots of food, lots of children, lots of laughing, sometimes crying. Let’s just say I like to make memories and be part of other people’s memories.

What is something that your colleagues would be surprised to learn about you?

I personally negotiated a deal at age 16 with a local business college (Rice Business College) to work six months for no pay in exchange for free tuition on an associate’s degree to be taken at an agreed upon future date. Rice Business College merged with another local business school before the agreed upon date. Even though I had worked six months, the new business college administration would not honor the agreement.

under: Business Affairs, Division Spotlight
Tags: , ,

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories