Ballad of the Mower

I stare at the uncut lawn behind my house.  Trying to decide what would be the most aesthetically pleasing and artful way of cutting the lawn, I begin.  I first cut the edges of the yard, framing the inner area for what was going to be my masterpiece.  I start at the corner of the frame and create diagonal lines that stretch from one side of the frame to the other.  This had been the way my dad mowed the lawn before he placed the burden on me.  Where is my dad now? Probably inside with my mom and sister watching Netflix, my dog next to them on the couch fast asleep.

A few months ago, I would have been with my family, my dog sitting next to me on the couch fast asleep.  We would have been watching American Idol, the show that brings my family together every Tuesday and Wednesday night.  Watching the season reminds me of the audition process I had been through a few months previous, how I had almost made it to Hollywood Week.  I was one yes away from seeing the celebrity judges.  Last summer I had auditioned in Charlotte.  I breezed past the first audition claiming my Golden Ticket.  Two months later, I ventured to Pinehurst, North Carolina to vie for my place on the reality television show.  I passed through my second audition receiving eight yeses from eight producers.  I advanced.  I waited in line to go to my third audition in front of the executive producers.  I only received one yes, thus my career on American Idol was over for this year.  I was disappointed in myself.

I sang “Feeling Good” by Michael Bublé, the song now playing on my iPone.  I only have a little more of the lawn to mow.  The lawn looks beautiful.  I cut the last diagonal strip.  My dad will be proud.  I am proud.

One Response to Ballad of the Mower

1. Reina Slaymaker September 16, 2013 at 12:15 am #

Really great work, I can definitely see this eventually developing as a short story or some other type of creative piece. Your connections between topics are strong and the circular ending makes your post complete, fully answering the prompt. This was a unique and interesting response, and I really enjoyed reading it! You have a strong voice throughout the work that keeps readers interested. You should definitely look back on this when brainstorming for you professional statement, I think you’ll find it useful. Keep it up, I’m excited to see what you write in the future.