Isabel Gardett: An English Major Doesn’t Have to Be a Teacher

Isabel (Marie) Gardett graduated from the College of Charleston not only with a BA but also a MA in English. She later received a Ph.D. in English, specializing in rhetoric and writing, from the University of Utah. Throughout and after her path of higher education, she experienced many career shifts, from instructing college courses, writing for scientists, and now, ghostwriting. During our conversation, she outlined these career paths and provided tips on ways in which these paths have been successful.

Realizing it was difficult to find a career with just a BA in English, Isabel continued her studies at the College. While pursuing her master’s, she also taught English courses at Trident Technical College, discovering her passion for teaching in higher education and therefore her desire to further her education even more. This realization led her to pursue a Ph.D. in English at the University of Utah. Specializing in rhetoric and writing, Isabel wrote her dissertation on the scientific rhetoric of a then-new FDA regulation. While completing her path toward a Ph.D., she did, however, realize she was wrong about her passion for teaching, claiming, “this is not what I signed up for.”

Nevertheless, Isabel knew that with a Ph.D. in English and a strong understanding of scientific rhetoric, she did not have to remain in academia. She searched the job market, mainly through Indeed, discovering many opportunities that fit her expertise. Utilizing her teaching skills, she landed a job as an instructional designer for a non-profit organization. In this position, she organized lessons that employers used to teach employees new skills. Isabel did not even need to be proficient in any of these skills, she merely had to apply her English abilities and teaching experience to put together courses and lesson plans.

This path, however, soon proved to serve as merely a stepping-stone. Isabel took advantage of her advanced education and decided to find another job, one that might fit her passions. Richard Bolles, in What Color is Your Parachute? discusses this method of job-hunting, referring to it as “the Parachute Approach.” He defines this method as figuring out “who you are, and among all your gifts, which ones you most love to use. Then (and only then) you go looking for organizations that match you” (84). Isabel did exactly this. She sought out an opportunity that fit her, not just ones that she fit. Through this approach, she eventually found a job working for a biochemist. I know; as strange as it seems, she, an English major, worked for a biochemist. She “translated his finding” to communicate them through academic and professional writing. Through this work, she not only learned a lot about a biochemist’s specific research interest, but she also found herself featured as one-of-many authors of many scientific articles. English majors are sprinkled everywhere!

Currently, Isabel works as a ghostwriter, writing anonymously for unnamable – trust me, I asked – names. Discussing this job, she remained vague, and I didn’t want to push her code of silence too far. She stated that she would interview people who hired her to write for them and as them. I asked if this was strange, and she said, yes, especially for memoirs. Despite the weird nature of this job, she still seems to love what she does.

Throughout our discussion, she sprinkled career tips into her stories. While talking to her, I kept thinking of how George Anders, in his You Can Do Anything: The Surprising Power of the “Useless” Liberal Arts Education, claims that “No matter where you are or what job you might be seeking, [Alumni] are more approachable than ever. Alumni understand what little-known fields are booming, who is hiring… and, the most important skill of all, how to get a job” (203). Isabel did not disappoint in these matters. She provided me with plenty of tips on resumes, cover letters, interviews, and even the job-searching process in general; she claimed that I shouldn’t apply to as many jobs as possible but rather dedicate myself wholly to a few jobs I am really devoted to because the employer will see my passion. After talking to her, a lot of pressure floated off my chest; Isabel does identify with a single job or as a single type of professional. She goes where she wants to go because she knows she can. She not only captures opportunities but makes them. Like her, I hope to utilize such freedom, the freedom which I have gained only through my liberal arts education.

One Response to Isabel Gardett: An English Major Doesn’t Have to Be a Teacher

1. Prof VZ March 23, 2023 at 3:20 pm #

Thanks for sharing Isabel’s story in such a thoughtful way! You might think of a way to lead with a stronger hook, though–perhaps by casting us into the middle of that interesting conversation about ghost writing, about being someone else, occupying another personal. It could lead to an interesting thematic through-line as well (adaptability, etc.).

Also, I found this bit a bit confusing–can you re-word for clarity / strength: “She “translated his finding” to communicate them through academic and professional writing.” I”m not sure a quote is necessary here, and you might say more about this job: was this ghost-writing scientific papers, and this was a single biochemist she was working for? This can sound more like a gig amongst others than a job.