A Moral Life Lesson, as illustrated through old school navy tattoos

I really loved everyone’s comics but I didn’t bother to download the program. Rather, I opted to drawing my comics out by hand and writing the words on separate paper and then using ‘crazy’ scissors to cut out the words and taped them over the drawings (like the pop out words in star cut-outs in real comics!). I wanted to do it this way to get a feel for how much effort Bechdel put into her book. I can’t imagine doing a whole book this way, and I eventually gave up on using her exact technique. Anyway, I just tried uploading the final product (three hours later) and the site told me it was too large. So, much to my dismay, I’m linking you here.

(I hope you can read the handwriting, but if not it says “My momma told me when I was young, life’s a bitch – its sink or swim.” and “To reach a port we must sail, sometimes with the wind, and sometimes against it. But we must not drift or lie at anchor.” It represents the tough love that my parents have always had for me, their lack of sugar coating the cruelty of life, and my rough struggle fleeing from home but then finding my way back and seeing it in a different light.)

Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.