Finding a Major

As a freshman in college I was expected to be a biology major. With a brother in medical school and a sister in dental school, it was almost a family tradition. But, after a year of fulfilling my first year biology requirements, I knew that the major was not for me. But, then came the next dilemma in my life. If I was not going to go into the medical field, what was I going to do with my life? Although this question lingered over my head, the first question I needed to answer was what I was going to major in. I knew that the math and science fields were not of much interest to me, but the College of Charleston’s extensive list of arts and humanities majors did not help lessen the search of possible majors.

It was not until my English 102 class that I realized what subject I wanted to studied.  It was almost like an epitome, I was sitting in class imagining what classes I would take for the following semester and I realized that the class I was sitting was the last English class I would take for the rest of my life. The idea was unsettling for me. I did not want English 102 to be the last English class I ever took. I loved the discussion on Atonement and World War II poetry. I relished in ripping apart every perspective a soldier could have written a poem in and then analyzing each perspective to interpret a different meaning to the work. I found that English captured the moments of history better than the history books themselves, because English does not analyze actual events, but rather the emotions and feelings that those events had on individuals. English captures history on a much more intellectual level. As I prepare to graduate in May with my English degree, I am lucky to be so captivated my a major that still keeps me yearning for more, after all four years.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.