Final Project Post: Whitman’s Evils

My final project was an introduction to a series of poems in which Whitman finds fault in his own collectivist philosophy. There is a fair bit written about this darker side of Whitman but there seemed to be no anthology so dedicated. These are tremendous moments in Walt’s poetry because they uphold his promise that […]

Continue Reading 0

Whitmanian Connection in Visual Art

Walt Whitman was self-proclaimed Poet of the Nation and as such has been fully absorbed into American culture and arts. Whitman and his themes of democracy, spirituality, and connectivity have become ingrained in many various art forms. With my project, I have continued his theme of human connection through shared human experience using “Crossing Brooklyn […]

Continue Reading 0

The Langston Hughes and Walt Whitman Connection

My project oversaw the connection between the trajectory of Langston Hughes and Walt Whitman’s work. In class we specifically talked about Whitman’s influence on African American writers, so with my project I wanted to take this idea a step further and explore not only Whitman’s influence over the black poet, but how their works are […]

Continue Reading 5

Tweeting @WhitmanSpeaks

Through ‘Whitman Speaks’ I sought to recreate the persona of Whitman on Twitter and use his poetry and prose to directly engage in conversations with people surrounding news and social issues. Initially, the project was a question of how to fairly represent and recreate Whitman’s voice as I joined in modern conversations. I wanted to […]

Continue Reading 0

Whitman’s Modern Woman

My project took an approach I had never taken before on the portrayal of female’s as empowered by Whitman’s maternal prototype.  I really enjoyed investigating the issue from a kind of perspective I have formally argued against and was pleasantly surprised at a lot of the incite I was able to extract.  I used Milk and […]

Continue Reading 0

Women in Whitman’s Works: Through the Lens of Adrienne Rich

Powerpoint: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LuJLOFWOVU3QFOa_ZR8J5roVJhWUfscojtm5oFrourk/edit?ts=571d616b#slide=id.p4 Paper: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O1DhgCgchk4ahtOUn5fOr_CqDKzhAhUWPORzSrNJUZk/edit In “Women in Whitman’s Works” I examined Whitman’s portrayal of women, in light of feminist poet Adrienne Rich, to determine whether or not he serves as a feminist figure or as more of a product of his time. These poets appear similar in their political focus, communal vision, concern for the state, discussion […]

Continue Reading 0