Student Spotlight: Cam Lacey

Tell us a little bit about yourself! What are your pronouns? Your hometown? Your major(s)/minor(s)?

My pronouns are she/her. I am from Westchester, New York, and I’m double majoring in Psychology and Women’s and Gender Studies.

Why did you choose to study WGS?

I don’t know if I have an answer to that question. I think WGS found its way to me. I had the great privilege of attending the number one all-female boarding school in the country, Miss Porter’s. My time at Porter’s was 100% the best time of my life. However, while attending this amazing institution geared to the improvement and growth of women, I never had any classes where the sole focus was on the woman as an individual. The WGS program at the College of Charleston gave me the opportunity to fulfill the hole that Porter’s couldn’t fill.Cam Lacey headshot

What areas/aspects of WGS you find most engaging/interesting/what you’re most passionate about?

I, personally, am a fan of the structure of WGS courses. Within the major, about 99% of my classes have been discussion based, as opposed to stereotypical lecture classrooms. This has been helpful to my personal growth because I learn better when I have the opportunity to talk it out with my peers versus constantly being talked to. Subsequently, I am passionate about the students. All WGS students are incredibly passionate about all issues that concern WGS. Even the issue they might not be incredibly crazy about, they support. The major truly feels like a small family, calling it merely a community would be almost insulting to how close-knit it really is.

Tell us about any extracurricular work you’re doing (ex. volunteering/local activism), or any involvement you have on campus with clubs/organizations.

I am currently serving as the president of the Charleston 40 Tour Guide Association and have been a tour guide for 3 years. I have recently added on the position of Public Relations for the remainder of the Academic Year. Also, in the Office of Admissions, I have been a Student Ambassador for the past 4 years. I have been an orientation intern through the office of New Student Programs for 3 years. Last summer, I transitioned into the role of Senior Customer Service Representative. I served as a Peer Advisor in the Office of Academic Advising & Planning Center. I am a member of the Illustrious Iota Omicron Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated.

What does WGS mean to you? and/or: Why should every CofC student take a WGS class before they graduate?

I think it is incredibly important for every CofC student to take a WGS class before the graduate. The College of Charleston is built on the foundation of a liberal arts education. Although it was annoying at first, it is truly beautiful because students are given the opportunity to dip their foot into every pond and be boundless, we have the great privilege of deciding what out future to be. Yet, in order to make the most inclusive future imaginable WGS has to be in the conversation. The same people have been in my classes throughout my time in the College, and it proves that those people care about equal opportunities and inclusivity. However, the conversation needs to leave the same group of people and impact a larger population in order to make a recognizable difference.

You’re about to be graduating soon, so we HAVE to ask you this question: what are you plans post-graduation? And how will you take what you’ve learned in WGS with you once you’re no longer a student here?

After I graduate in May I am going off to Nursing School, which is exciting and terrifying at the same time! I am set to attend Columbia University where I will earn my M.S in Nursing and DNP in Nurse Midwifery. I truly believe that everything I have learned within my field of study will play a role in how I choose to set up my career. I have learned a variety of concepts across departments ranging from Women & Religion, Managing Diversity and the Sexuality of Childbirth.