Student Spotlight: Jasmine Tindall

We sat down with WGS and Religious Studies double-major Jasmine Tindall to talk about how she came to study WGS, and what areas of WGS she’s most passionate about.Jasmine headshot

First off, why did you choose to major in WS?

I chose to study WGS because it’s fueled my passion for social justice. It’s provided me with a foundation for understanding the root cause of different oppressions, which I think is the first step to making a better life for all.

What areas/aspects of WGS you find most engaging or interesting? Or, what WGS-related issues are most passionate about?

I’m a double major in Religious Studies so a lot of my interests are focused on women’s roles and influences in religion. I’m really fascinated by the extent to which religion has not only reflected basic cultural assumptions about gender but has in turn helped shape, reinforce, and modify those expectations in today’s society.

Tell us about any extracurricular work you’re doing (ex. volunteering/local activism), or any involvement you have on campus with clubs/organizations.

On campus I spend a lot of time with incoming freshmen working as a Peer Facilitator and I’m a member of the Pre-Law Society. Some local activism I’ve enjoyed participating in is volunteering at Planned Parenthood and attending Charleston pride, as well as the Women’s March in DC. I’m looking forward to applying my passion for WGS at my internship in Rwanda and Uganda this summer! I’ll be working with local NGOs on socio-political health issues and studying different topics like psychology from social change & negotiating resources and gender in civic spaces.

Why should every student take a WGS class before they graduate?

There’s a common misconception that women & gender is for the sole benefit of women and women’s rights. I’d encourage anyone to take a WGS course because you’re actively opposing intersectional oppression, critically reviewing and learning how to see things from a multitude of angles, the field inevitably expands into other areas where oppression is highly present such as racism, sexism, exploitation and class difference.

What are your plans post-graduation, and how do you plan to take what you’ve learned in WGS with you moving forward?

Post-graduation I see myself continuing my studies of WGS in grad school to complete my masters and doctorate. One day I hope to pursue a career in academia as a feminist scholar. My dreams include but are not limited to: teaching abroad, publishing contributive research and writings within the WGS realm, and of course hosting my own TED Talks!