Civic Engagement Weekly Digest │ November 4th, 2015
Read below to learn about upcoming volunteer opportunities in the Charleston community. Volunteer announcements are either one-time events or ongoing service opportunities. Contact information is included with each entry. If you are searching for more volunteer opportunities email our office at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to register/sign-up for events you plan on attending!
- Veteran’s Day! This Veteran’s Day, November 11th, we will be creating a remembrance garden of American flags in the Cistern Yard for all student, staff and faculty veterans (9-10am). We will also serve lunch and play games with veterans at the VA Medical Center’s Patriots Harbor Community Living Center (10:45am-2:15pm, Registration Required). In the evening, we will be screening, “When I Came Home”, the emotional story of coming home after returning from Iraq (7-9pm). For more information, how to register and get involved, email: email@example.com.
- Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week! This national event is put on annually, the week before Thanksgiving (U.S.). This year, between November 14th and 21st, the Center for Civic Engagement will be partnering with other campus offices and organizations, to educate students, faculty and staff about the issues people experiencing homelessness and hunger deal with on an almost daily basis. To learn about all events happening during HHAW check out volunteer.cofc.edu. To take action sign-up for one of our Recurring Service opportunities! #cofcHHAW
- Keep Charleston Beautiful! Keep Charleston Beautiful, an affiliate of Keep America Beautiful and the City of Charleston, conducts environmental clean ups of debris around the Charleston area. Volunteers go to specific neighborhoods, streets, parks and marshes to help keep Charleston beautiful! Our next clean-ups are November 14th and 21st from8:30am to 12:30pm. To sign up or get more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. (Part of #cofcHHAW)
- Lowcountry Food Bank! The Lowcountry Food Bank, located in North Charleston, helps feed children, adults, seniors and families in need along coastal South Carolina. Come pack, sort, clean food while getting to know your fellow Cougars! Your next opportunity is November 20th, from 12:30-3:30pm! Limited to the first ten volunteers! Emailvolunteer@cofc.edu to register! *Transportation provided (Part of #cofcHHAW)
- Neighborhood House Farmer’s Market Gleaning and Monday Market! Neighborhood House is a part of Our Lady of Mercy Outreach. They help feed, clothe, house, and counsel those in need. They have partnered with Fields to Families, an organization working with local farmers to bring fresh produce to those who may go hungry. The gleaning takes place Saturday, November 14th, from 1pm-3pm in Marion Square. The Monday Market is the opportunity for the community to pick up the produce, also learn ways to prepare and get the most out of these products. The Monday Market, takes place the following Monday, November 16th, after the Gleaning, between 11:00 am -1:30 pm. To sign up, email: email@example.com. (Part of #cofcHHAW)
Community Partner Events and Volunteer Opportunities
- S.C.O.R.E.! The South Carolina Oyster Restoration and Enhancement Program (SCORE) is a community-based habitat restoration and monitoring program of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. Volunteers will be bagging shells at their Fort Johnson locations on James Island, this Saturday November 7th, from 9am-11am. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. A map to get to Ft. Johnson is located here. For all events, closed-toed shoes and clothing you don’t mind getting dirty are a must!! We will provide water, gloves, sunscreen, and bug spray. We will have single use cups for water, but encourage volunteers to be eco-friendly and bring a refillable bottle.
- Lowcountry Herald Potluck and Donation Drive! The Lowcountry Herald is a newspaper dedicated to helping the homeless. We make newspapers, give them to the homeless, and the homeless in turn give them away and ask for a three dollar donation. The homeless vendors keep the money as a form of income. They hold a potluck every Sunday at 12:45-2pm on Trident Tech’s Downtown campus. Volunteers are needed each week for this to bring and/or serve food to the homeless. Bringing food is appreciated, but not mandatory. They also collect a wide variety of donated items, from toiletries, blankets, clothing, etc. For more information about the Lowcountry Herald and volunteer opportunities, please email: email@example.com
- Families Helping Families! Palmetto Project organizes, Families Helping Families, a type of Christmas programming that provides food, clothing, and Christmas gifts for nearly 3,800 families with urgent and emergency needs. We need data entry volunteers to put applications into system that will then match families in need with sponsors. Also, We need warehouse volunteers to receive, sort, log, wrap, and distribute gifts to happy families. Get a group of friends and spend an afternoon helping to ensure that all South Carolinians have a happy holiday season! There are a multitude of dates and times to volunteer. If you are interested in helping out the Palmetto Project in another way, please fill out and submit the volunteer application by copy and pasting the following link into your browser.
- LUNG FORCE Run/Walk! The American Lung Association’s LUNG FORCE Run/Walk is Saturday, November 14 from 7-11am at the Folly Beach Fishing Pier. We are seeking volunteers to help us with event day setup, registration, directing participants along the route, and handing out water. It’s a fun, exciting and inspiring event. We hope you will consider being a part of it! Please email MargaretAnn.Mabry@LungSE.org if interested.
- Communities in Schools! Communities in Schools and Lambs Elementary need energetic, caring mentors and tutors! Volunteers could work in multiple schools and gain valuable experience, while helping elementary students learn and grow! To get more information and become a volunteer, visit www.cischarleston.org and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sandpiper Activities Volunteers! Sandpiper Premier Senior Living is looking for volunteers to interact with their residents in a multitude of ways! They are seeking motivated and energetic volunteers leading games (bingo, cross words, puzzles, shuffle board, etc.), helping put together socials, bible study and group luncheons. Interested parties should contact Marva Bland, Activities Director at (843) 881-3210 ext. 2215