It can be tough getting to know people in an online class, but Flipgrid can help in a major way. Using the selfie video format our students already know and love, students can easily create online videos using the free Flipgrid app on their phone or computer.
Important things to note:
- Flipgrid is FREE!
- Students do not need to set up a Flipgrid account to use Flipgrid, but they do need the app in order to use it on their phones.
- The instructor creates the grid; they send the “Flipcode” to the students (or you can easily embed the grids into OAKS); students use the code to access the class grid where they can make a discussion video.
- Students can reply to discussion video “threads” (the number of replies is unlimited).
- Instructors can reply (where everyone can see) or they can leave students private feedback on their videos.
- Instructors have control over the grids (they can moderate videos, freeze boards, and have the power to delete everything).
Here are three TLT tutorials to get you started with Flipgrid:
1. Learn how to create a new Flipgrid and a response.
2. Learn how students can reply to a Flipgrid, and how the instructor can give feedback and moderate comments.
- Learn how to create small groups and embed into OAKS (D2L/Brightspace).